S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Kangarooing in 2nd gear

Old 02-12-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kangarooing in 2nd gear

I have not had my car long, just a few days. It seems to have a weird problem. And that is, when the engine is cold and I am in second gear the car jerks badly. If I put my foot down the car accelerates ok ease my foot off and it starts again. This does not appear to happen in first or third. When the engine is warm the problem disappears.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

What RPM are you experiencing this. I don't have a solution, but bet it's engine speed related. I'm guessing too little rpm. My shift from 1st into 2d is at 4300 rpm, no lower for smooth acceleration.

-- Chuck
Old 02-12-2015, 02:48 PM

you have to rev this car, or slip the clutch more. i did the same thing when i first got it. rev it a little more then you think when you start out. its just a feel thing
Old 02-13-2015, 12:42 AM

Thanks guys for your input. Tried your suggestions and they work, basically until it the engine warms just keep the revs up. However, when driving in stop start traffic it will be a pain. Also, my wife will not drive the car until it is sorted.

So is there anything else I can do?
Old 02-13-2015, 01:23 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Sounds like you are lugging the engine. Be a bit more aggressive with the throttle off idle & shakes should go away. Keep the R's up a bit more (like 500r's)...

Good luck! Keep us informed.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Saltymooring
Thanks guys for your input. Tried your suggestions and they work, basically until it the engine warms just keep the revs up. However, when driving in stop start traffic it will be a pain. Also, my wife will not drive the car until it is sorted.

So is there anything else I can do?

Yeah give time to yourself to learn the car! Enjoy!
I use mine as a daily driver and it is not bad at all. I very rarely brake in start stop traffic.

Keep a bit of a distance from the cars in front. Position your car in the lane so you can see as further as possible - and just pull a gear down instead of breaking. You will notice this car won't accelerate on its own that much when rolling in gear down a hill.. The nose lowers and the car slows down every time you downshift..

S likes downshifting, it purrs with pleasure..

PS. My wife drove mine and she was gripping the wheel in agony with sweaty hands at 3k rpm! lol
PS2. Respect the power of this car and never forget it is rear wheel drive, so easy on the gas when cornering hard!
Old 02-13-2015, 03:03 AM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

As brilliant as the S2000 is, it's major flaw is it cannot handle stop and go traffic.

The motor doesn't make enough torque down low (<2500 RPM) and if you mix that with the heatsoak these cars get, you'll have some serious bucking/kangarooing. If I have to travel anywhere that I'll know I'll be sitting some traffic, I take my GSR instead.

As others mentioned you either have slip the clutch a little more or learn to live with it.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:08 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

You guys seem to be saying your wives won't drive the car like it's a bad thing!

-- Chuck
Old 02-13-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Have your throttle body coolant lines been by-passed, some people do that and it messes up their cold idle speed until the engine can warm itself up.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to have to disagree. If you're moving and remotely competent at shifting your car shouldn't be behaving like uou describe. I have never had a problem in stop and go traffic with 110 degree ambient temps. I've never heard of this either. Assuming your driving is consistent, the problem is mechanical on the basis of you saying it goes away when warm. Record at what rpms this occurs at. Just FYI but Honda recommended shifts are at 15 25 40 47 and 52. Hope I helped. Have a good one!

Chris Brewer

Quick Reply: Kangarooing in 2nd gear