S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

KNOCKING IN THE HEAD...STILL

Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KNOCKING IN THE HEAD...STILL

ok guys, the timing is perfect, car starts, valves all adjusted, and still making the same sound it made from the old head. At first before valves were properly adjusted, the sound sounded like it was coming from the back of the head, now it sounds like it is coming from the front of the head. The machanic still thinks its the cam gears. I had a previous thread about the cam gears, and everyone said they seemed to be ok. the autotensioner was changed, but it is still making this loud tapping sound or knock i should say. do you think it could be the auto tensioner again, or maybe the rockers?

please help....island sux for machanics down here..about to just buy another engine if these dee dee dee machanics cant figure it out.

thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:17 PM

Is it "knocking" or "tapping". I know for me as a technitian those words have two different meanings to them and would also have two different paths I would take to find the sources.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Maybe the problem is in the lower end?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 PM

nope its not in the lower end. somewhere in the head. It's a loud tapping, and kinda goes away when you rev, it, but you can still hear it a little while reving, just not as loud.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:04 PM

You say you bought a whole new head and the sound moved from the rear of the motor to the front?

If your 100% sure the lower end is not the cause of the noise, it would suck to say but maybe you bought another bad head.

How fast is the tapping?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by s2kBryan916,Jan 25 2007, 04:04 PM
You say you bought a whole new head and the sound moved from the rear of the motor to the front?

If your 100% sure the lower end is not the cause of the noise, it would suck to say but maybe you bought another bad head.

How fast is the tapping?
no no, when the guy adjusted the valves the sound is not in the front. he said it sounds like the cam gears are messed up. the only thing left from my old head is the cam gears, and rockers. the taps are like 2 taps every second.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:14 PM

The cam gears are in the front of the motor.
In my opinion I dont think I would describe a noise coming from the cam gears as "tapping".
Old 01-25-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by s2kBryan916,Jan 25 2007, 04:14 PM
In my opinion I dont think I would describe a noise coming from the cam gears as "tapping".
yeah thats the same thing i said. but they insist its the gears. they were supposed to use the rockers that came with the newer head i bought, but they put the old ones from my old head. so maybe its them. it sounds like a valve tap really, but i know all the valves are good, had the machine shop check them out.

its the same sound it had with the old head. dont know what it could be. ughh.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by s2kBryan916,Jan 25 2007, 04:14 PM
if the AUTO TENSIONER isn't put back in without the PIN in it, could that cause any damage. i believe they just put it in without the PIN in it. doesnt it need to be compressed?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:23 PM

Well first off I would think about getting the new rockers with the new head. Was the cylinder head you bought brand new?
When it comes to the rockers and cams, for longevity, you shouldnt mix and match used rockers with other used cams.
A valve lash issue (valve tapping) is pretty obvious. If that is what it really sounds like then I would say get them done again. I'm not trying to downgrade the other tech who did the valve adjustment, but it is pretty easy to miss adjust a valve to cause a tapping.

Quick Reply: KNOCKING IN THE HEAD...STILL