S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Larger Oil Pump w/Oil Bolts

Old 12-02-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger Oil Pump w/Oil Bolts

Just did the oil bolts on an a MY01 as I had the pan out to do the Vortech install. By having the 4 holes in the oil bolts we're helping with volume at high RPM's, but will be sacrificing oil pressure at low RPM's.

Has anybody installed a larger oil pump to compensate for the oil pressure drop? I don't have an oil pressure gauge (yet), so I'm not sure if the drop is signficicant at low RPM's. Not sure if I should be worried or not.

Or, am I just all screwed up on my logic...

Thanks
Old 12-02-2003, 01:20 PM
Banned

I think that the new oil bolts kind of hold oil pressure at lower rpms and then create a type of spray effect at higher rpms. From what I understand, this is ok as you do not need the extra lubrication at lower rpms....
Old 12-02-2003, 01:58 PM

Ahh, that would make sense. I forgot there's a spring and ball in the oil jet. So as you said, it would only be spraying at high oil pressure (high RPM's).
Old 12-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Banned

also, supposedely at low rpms the engine doesnt really NEED the oil jets as the pistons are being lubricated sufficiently, but its at high rpms, and in certain climates or high speed we need the oil jet bolts. A lot of motors dont have any at all, but if you noticed most of the dohc vtec motors do because most of them rev past 8k rpms...
Old 12-02-2003, 05:22 PM

I think the main purpose of the oil jet is not lubrication. It is used for cooling of the piston.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:25 PM

I think the main purpose of the oil jet is not lubrication. It is used for cooling of the piston.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:54 PM

Yah, that seems to make sense. I think I remember hearing similar concerning the heat.

My mind is at ease. The big issue I was concerned was losing oil pressure at low RPM's, which won't happen with the ball valves in the oil jets.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys ,

I will be fitting a turbo to my car next month, along with a high capacity oil pan and wanted to ask, while I have the oilpan off are there any upgrades I need to be looking at regarding oil jets or anything similar???

I have a Japanese imported 2000 model if that helps!!

Thanks in advance

Andy
Old 12-03-2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Andrew Doherty
Hey guys ,

I will be fitting a turbo to my car next month, along with a high capacity oil pan and wanted to ask, while I have the oilpan off are there any upgrades I need to be looking at regarding oil jets or anything similar???

I have a Japanese imported 2000 model if that helps!!

Thanks in advance

Andy

Hey Andy, you'll want to swap out the oil squirter banjo bolts. You cannot buy the old ones as they have been discontinued. Through some research I did with my dealer, honda recycled the same banjo bolts off of the B-series and suddenly through mid '02 model year production, discontinued using the old banjo bolts for new ones. Be sure to swap them out while you have the pan off. What pan did you end up going with?

-ardy
Old 12-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Banned

Im not sure, but I think yours should have the old oil jet bolts on there, which may or may not be sufficient running a turbo application. Search around under "oil jet bolts" or things to that sort of tune and youll find A LOT of info and even write-ups on how to do it. Once the oil pan is off its a simple job, but has details that need to be tended to. To make a long story short, on the late 02' models honda switched to oil bolts with 4 smaller holes rather than 2 larger holes, supposedely better for cooling at high temps and high rpms....

Quick Reply: Larger Oil Pump w/Oil Bolts