S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lets Talk Hypothetical Situations- Nitrous

Old 03-16-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been debating spraying on my car for quite some time now, and have my kit and all the accessories picked out to the finest detail. Everyone that I talk to says that I will not have a problem what so ever, and that I am going about it the right way. However the question of "What if?" always sets in the back of my mind. So lets discuss the "what if's" of nitrous.

For one, I will be having the kit installed at a local dyno, and tuned there also, so I am not worried about A/F ratios or installer error.

I will only be running a 50 shot, so Im not worried about my clutch or diff.

What does worry me is any potential internal damage. Frying some rings or worse, burning a piston could be very costly. Has anyone done this while jetting a 50 shot? What kind of price are we looking at to get those fixed, and what is the likelyhood of either one of them happening? Will running a compression check a few times during the first bottle and once every subsequent bottle let me know if anything is going wrong internally?

Other than that, I dont worry about too much, but will post anything I come up with.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Overall, I'd say you'll be fine. As long as your A/F ratio stays within reason, you won't have to worry about detonation (assuming the typical safeguards are in place, like cutoffs if your tank runs dry or low psi). 50 shot is reasonable, but expect a bit of decreased lifetime on the clutch and everything back of it. Running a compression check after the first bottle or two seems a bit excessive, IMO, but if it makes you feel better about things, go for it.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:37 PM

Ironically a guy just PMd be saying he ran a 50 shot dry. Had it installed and tuned on a dyno, and detonation ruined the third cylinder after a month. He was running cold plugs, and everything.

This is what makes me hesitant, these kinds of stories that I fear telling first hand. He ended up paying 3800 installed for the new shortblock.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:37 PM

MY guess would be he was running his A/F mixture on the ragged edge, assuming all cylinders would have the same ratio. There's a price to pay for getting that last pony or two out of an engine. Always err on the side of safety unless you have a bottomless trust fund.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:00 AM

He did say that he jetted for 75 horses at first, but it was too lean and he backed down to 50. He was also running a NOS kit, and to my knowledge, their dry kits do not boost FP at all.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:51 AM

You can't introduce that much oxygen into the cylinders without increasing the fuel, a definite no no. So not only did he not have an FPR, but it sounds like he didn't even have a piggyback computer to bump up the injector duty cycle?
Old 03-17-2004, 09:55 AM

well, NOS dry kit does introduce additional fuel through the FPR. As far as risk, you would take that with most any application as you seek more hp. Someone who was jeeting for 75 and then back down because of AF mixture has a lot of factors. If you see your AF is running lean then you can up your fuel jet by .002 in order to get some more fuel, the same if the car is puddling and running too rich. A common factor that causes nitrous backfire, detonation and puddling is when nitrous is injected too early into the cylinder. Thus the need for a window switch. With boost it takes some time to spool, the same principles must be applied to nitrous. You can not slam on the trottle and activate nitrous prior to 4500 rpm on our cars. Well you can, but it comes with more risks and a decrease in longevity. I can understand your caution becuase I was once there too and it takes some time to tune nitrous cars just like turbo/supercharged cars. This past weekend while tuning a nitrous car, I experienced a spectacular nitrous backfire which blew the intake piping and filter completely off. The owner of the car had forgot to change the .030 fuel jet to a .026. There was no significant damage and the car eventual return to normal after all the fuel purged out of the system and I changed the jets and regapped his plugs down. The tuning is critical to a healty system and using a dyno carefully will help.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you do it right with the right tunning, 50 shot won't do much. Just get it done right!

A silly friend of mine had 100 dry shot of NOS into the stock car for about a month withouth any kind of tunning since the installation was done in another friend's backyard. Well the outcome was that I couldn't find out what exactly happened to the engine since he crashed it . Probably that car was running poorly since it never got an oil change neither since he got it at 9K miles and the car had around 45K miles. SAD, it made me sick to find out that beautiful Spa Yellow S2000 was done with!

Rich irresponsible kids!
Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 PM

if your having so many large doubts its really not wasting your time or money. every little sound or noise you hear out of nomal in your car your going to end up ripping out stuff to make sure nothing is wrong when everything is fine. it will end up costing you more of a headache then anything. but its true you can run a large shot fine if tuned right. i am running 100 shot on a tuned set up.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:17 PM

I feel that I have concluded on a very well done system, and considering I am having it professionaly tuned and installed, there isn't much room left to do it further correctly. Regardless, I am still very weary. From the sounds of it its not as if I will have any warning before a catostrophic incident.

As much as I want to do this, there is just too much of me saying no.

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Hypothetical Situations- Nitrous