S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

loud clunk when under hard turning.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud clunk when under hard turning.

I just bought a used s2k, its a ap2 with only 70k miles. Regardless, I didn't notice it on initial test drive but under hard turn in, I hear a loud clunk from the rear. It sounds as if its from either side depending on turning right or left.

It sounds as if the exhaust is loose and is hitting the floor boards. Its only under heavy cornering and regardless of gear or neutral.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the rubber hangers for the exhaust system for condition. If they are stretched or non-elastic any longer the exhaust system may be sliding sideways on cornering and hitting something.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:49 AM

I checked all retainers and exhaust. Everything looks to be to spec. Its only when turning in heavy. Its like the car is flexing... I bet its going to take me months to figure out exactly what is making the noise.

I did notice that there is a brace that goes under the drive shaft but not under the exhaust near the cat. Its pretty mangled and has to be under a lot of torsion. Do you think that this might lead to flex noise when cornering?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:51 AM

I'm bringing it to the local Honda dealership for some diagnostic icu. I hope I get an apt tech who can simply pin point the noise.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the cross brace is smucked that would be a good place to start looking for collateral damage that may be giving rise to your sound. Good hunting - report back what you find.
Originally Posted by irkath
I'm bringing it to the local Honda dealership for some diagnostic icu. I hope I get an apt tech who can simply pin point the noise.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Check that the rear suspension bolts are all in place and tight. The rear wheel assembly could be shifting.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm going to make a video. I took it to a Honda dealership and they really couldn't tell me what it was. It was either this or maybe this kind of a thing. At best, they said I need a new diff and axles. All for a sound I can hear and feel from the front of the car.

I can feel it if I have my hands on the floor boards. Its a slight twitch.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lmfao @ dealership saying you need a new diff and axles, so typical.

In for video. Is the rear sway bar still attached? So you are saying that the brace that runs under the drive shaft is all jacked up? Pictures of this?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Axles? Diff?? Both??? I hope they didn't charge you for this "diagnosis." Sounds like a wild-assed guess, and not even a good one at that.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 AM

Fixed. It is/was exactly what I thought it was. I had one of the dealerships master techs come for a joy ride with me at lunch time. Took him 20 min flat to fix the cradle that had been twisted and now causing flex.

Quick Reply: loud clunk when under hard turning.