S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud grinding sound while shifting and engine turned off. Tried starting no cranking.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud grinding sound while shifting and engine turned off. Tried starting no cranking.

Oil Level: Full.

I was driving down the street about maybe couple yards away from home, when i was about to shift and heard this loud grinding sound, and at that point i put it in neutral and thankfully house was close so i rolled into the driveway. I then realized that my motor was turned off. I tried cranking it, and all I heard was a "click", and no cranking.

I do have maybe 1 month old battery so I know its not that.
I tried running a jumper cable, and it still only clicks, and no starting.

I can turn the crank via hand, but after a few pumps by hand, it stops like something is stopping it. And at that point, I can rotate the crank in the other direction before it hits this "stopping point".

Possible Cause:

--> I had the clutch changed a year ago, and some bearing maybe shredded itself and is stopping my crank from turning continously.
--> I changed the valve seals(and brand new retainers) a month ago, and when the rocker arm assembly was off, I did rotate the crank in both directions (I guess I later realized i was not supposed to do that), and ever since i started the motor, it has had that clicking sound that TCT's make when they go bad. Last TCT was installed 6-7 months ago.
--> My timing chain tensioner finally gave out, and f@#ked something up. it had been clicking and I had not gotten around to replacing it, but then why would my crank only move in some direction before i feel something is stopping it, and then do it in another direction.

I took off the valve cover, and everything looks ok. Nothing seems damaged, I can still see the chain on the idler gear, and I can't quite get the idler gear to align with the head since the crank "stops" at that point (and can only be rotated in the other direction), but it seems that if i kept rotating, that the marks would align.

I have rotated the crank in both directions, so Im not sure if i caused damaged just now and earlier when i was changing the valve seals. Could my tensioner have gotten screwed in some way, or am I looking at a new engine because of some other part failure. Engine was running great up until this point.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropped valve or out of time
Old 03-28-2014, 06:09 PM

Time to go and see if the valve is in the cylinder.

Wish me luck.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 PM

Looked with a flash light and all the keepers and the valves are there with their retainers. I double checked, and will go triple check.

But I still dont understand how if the valves are not dropped, is my crank only spinning to some extent, and not all the way moving, or all the way seized.

Did my TCT screw up the chain near the pulley or something? Would swapping the TCT with a new one help? Or could it in the transmission/clutch side of things.

Also if the engine was out of time, would it turn off while driving, instead of check engine light. I cant tell the check engine light, since mine was already on, because of some air pump issue.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:30 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Turning the engine in either direction when you had it apart to do the retainers will not hurt anything.

Is your camwheel bolt tight?

Remove the spark plugs, and try to turn engine by hand again. Do not touch the starter button until you find the cause.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:34 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

it would have to be a pretty nasty clutch failure to cause this (engine stopping by hand) you could unbolt the slave, remove the boot and look inside but I highly doubt that is your problem. Something would have to be blown apart and hanging up on the fork or transmission casing.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 AM

Sounds close to the same issue I am having...only had time to pull the trans because I thought it was the clutch as well...pulling the motor tomorrow. Only difference is I can't hand crank at all but same exact driving circumstance...ill let you know if I find the issue. Very interested in what you find