S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Loud metalic rattle under load.....any ideas?

Old 06-11-2004, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud metalic rattle under load.....any ideas?

Hey guys,

My car has developed a loud metalic rattle which only seems to happen when the engine is under load or positive boost pressure!

The only way I can describe it is like some nuts and bolts being shaken in a can or kind of like the sound you get when you put something in the spinning blades of a fan

My tuner seems to think its something and nothing, maybe an ancillary or hard pipe knocking!?! but I'm a little more concerned so though I would see if any of the more experienced people on here had any ideas.

Thanks

Andy
Old 06-11-2004, 05:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Surely what you are describing is detonation.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:50 AM

I thought this but it seems too loud to be detonation
Old 06-11-2004, 06:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Then it's probably bits of piston, ring and valve flying around. Should stop shortly.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:04 AM

I'm hoping to god that it isn't!!!!, I'm going to have a go at putting more fuel in with the AEM EMS to run it rich and see if it is detonation or something ALOT more expencive

Thanks

Andy
Old 06-11-2004, 07:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have the ems, monitor your Knock sensor.....if it is indeed detonation ur hearing you shoud be able to see it in your log files....look for sudden stikes in the voltae output.....
If its metal stuff in your engine, you can find out my analyzing your oil.... check for high leves of metal....

BEroz
Old 06-11-2004, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Andrew Doherty
My tuner seems to think its something and nothing

Time to find a new/real tuner.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:33 AM

Thanks guys,

I'll try the knock sensor log files, the problem is no-one over here in the UK has tuned AEM before so its kind of a learning curve for my tuner as well as me, I'm contemplating flying Sean Mcelderry over from Torquefreaks to tune it if I cant get it sorted.

Andy
Old 06-11-2004, 10:07 AM

PM Juan, he lives in spain.... Maybe you guys could fly him out at the same time.......
Old 06-11-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Andrew Doherty
I'll try the knock sensor log files, the problem is no-one over here in the UK has tuned AEM before so its kind of a learning curve for my tuner as well as me, I'm contemplating flying Sean Mcelderry over from Torquefreaks to tune it if I cant get it sorted.
There are a few tuners with a small amount of experience with the AEM EMS in the UK. Of course, you could also go direct to GEMS since they designed the ECU for AEM in the first place. Anyway, getting A/F and ignition timing right shouldn't be a problem for any decent tuner with the AEM - the pain comes from getting all the other settings aways from the main maps setup correctly.

IIRC the AEM can datalog the knock sensor to get a baseline for where the normal knockless level is. Best done on genuine high octane fuel during setup (just buy a drum of proper 100 octane - easy enough to get hold of.). There's quite a high level of background noise on the F20C, so if this logging isn't done, then the knock output is going to be of limited use.

I'd ask your 'tuner' what setup you have for knock, and what the values were like when he logged the car during setup. Because he did do that, right?

-Brian.

Quick Reply: Loud metalic rattle under load.....any ideas?