S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Maint Req'd light

Old 05-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maint Req'd light

OK, I give up. The evil Maint Req'd light came on at 7455 miles as advertised. I need to reset it, but I am apparently retarded, and thus cannot make the nasty light go away.

I followed the procedure in the owner's manual, but got no joy. Then I checked the forum, found the procedure from Xviper (same as in the manual) did it again, still no joy. When I follow the procedure, the maint req'd light blinks off, then comes right back on and stays lit.

Any suggestions?

I'm pretty cheesed off about the whole thing anyway, because being a newbie, when I got the letter from the Honda dealer at around 3500 miles telling me to come in for a free oil change, I did so. (go ahead and groan out loud at this point in the story.) After I read the owners manual more thoroughly, I see that we're not supposed to change the oil until 7500 miles.

So, should I go to the dealership, have him reset the light, and also tell those morons to READ THEIR OWN MANUALS!!!! Or can one of you kind folks out there in S2K land help a newbie out??

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:37 PM

i noticed at times when the maint light starts flashing that i cant turn it off... i jus wait till its solid to reset.

not much advice else to give you since you see in the owners manual yourself how to do it
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beanolo...i would recommend the Cusco roll cage for your car bud. We should be able to install it at my dad's shop
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would change the oil often during the initial break in period. How often? I don't know specifically for an s2000. But for my Honda CBR, I changed the oil at 500 and 1000 and 2000 miles. The reason being that the engine is brand new. During the initial break in period, you're probably going to get metal shavings from the pistons wearing in the cylinder walls. At this time, the pistons are forming itself to match the cylinder wall dimensions.

As for the maintenance light, just take it in. If there's anything wrong, it's under warranty anyway. Also, use regular oil for now until the engine is FULLY broken in. Afterwards, you can use synthetic.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You didn't wait the full 10 seconds. Push and hold the trip button, turn the ignition switch on, and hold the button for MORE then 10 seconds....I hold for about 30.

By the way:

At 5,900 to 6,100 the indicator light blinks for 10 seconds when the ignition is turned on.

At 7,400 to 7,600 the light comes on and stays on when the ignition is turned on.

If you don't wait the full ten seconds you can get a partial reset. Hold the buton for 30.....which will probably be more like 15-20....I know it is an eternity.

Utah
Old 05-11-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As for the oil.......this is not a CBR. The key here is you are seating the cylinder liners (which CBR's don't have). The break in oilo is very high in detergents and molybdenum disulfide. The moly fills is minor voids under temp and pressure which allows the pistons rings to seal properly. If my oil was changed prematurely I would go to Castrol GTX which has the highest over the counter concentration of Molybdenum Disulfide "over the counter". The Honds break in oil is not available from the dealer.

Utah
Old 05-12-2005, 06:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake S2k,May 11 2005, 08:42 PM
I would change the oil often during the initial break in period. How often? I don't know specifically for an s2000.
Good GAWD, you are within your rights to screw up your car if you so desire, but please don't post up information that will compell other new owners to screw up theirs. I strongly urge you to read your owner's manual. It gives specific information about changing the factory fill oil out.
Better yet, I'll direct you to this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=288769&st=
Old 05-12-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BroInTheKnow,May 11 2005, 08:42 PM
beanolo...i would recommend the Cusco roll cage for your car bud. We should be able to install it at my dad's shop
Please use the PM feature for this sort of thing so as to not hijack this thread.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:58 AM

Utah, Thanks for the scoop on holding the button down longer to get the MR light to go away. I'll give that a try. As for the oil, as I said, HONDA sent me a letter advising me to come in for an oil change, and they changed the oil at the dealer. So, if something screws up later (I'm at 7600 miles, and so far so good) It'll be up to Honda to fix it. (I'm sure trying to get them to pony up will be a REAL pleasure!!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by VaBeachEd,May 12 2005, 11:58 AM
Utah, Thanks for the scoop on holding the button down longer to get the MR light to go away. I'll give that a try. As for the oil, as I said, HONDA sent me a letter advising me to come in for an oil change, and they changed the oil at the dealer. So, if something screws up later (I'm at 7600 miles, and so far so good) It'll be up to Honda to fix it. (I'm sure trying to get them to pony up will be a REAL pleasure!!
Nothing is really gonna screw up... as far as the motor not breaking in properly, it could lead to some problems, however I doubt they will come out till much later 50k miles+ (IF anything happens). Theres alot of ppl I've seen change out the break in oil early by mistake and still doin good. It's not the best idea, however its not the end of the world either. Definitely keep your service records of them changing out the oil ahead of breakin schedule JUST in case

Quick Reply: Maint Req'd light