S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

map a/f question with emanage and v-afc

Old 06-23-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default map a/f question with emanage and v-afc

I did a few searches, but I can't seem to find direct answer to my question. So I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

I'm going to be doing some tuning on my car. I have a vortec s/c. I learned that the emanage can alter a/f ratio is the same way as a v-afc.

The map reads boost.

The black box is able to intercept the boost, and change it to a voltage of basically atmospheric pressure. Or no load.

There's a constant voltage being sent to the balck box to the ecu.

Then the emanage/vafc will intercept it and alter it further to say there is more or less air, so tricking the ecu to supply more or less fuel. (but can't give much b/c of the voltage reading can only take away sig amount of fuel).

But the ECU continues to read o2 readings in closed loop. So you cannot really fine tune except in WOT or apx 80% wot.

However if you increase fuel pressure for example, you can take out fuel. Lets say at a specific point you need to take out a large amount of fuel under WOT, will that alter timing, or will the black box still over ride timing?

Please correct me if I am wrong anyplace.

Thank you again all!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wrong (and you didn't search too hard).

The E-manage can add fuel by directly driving the injectors rather than altering MAP. Simple as that.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:54 PM

With all due respect, don't tell me I didn't search that hard when I've spent the past 3 weeks doing research on this crap.

I have a specific question, and I am trying to understand exactly what is going on and what effect these changes will have on my car. I did not intend to waste your time. I am just trying to verify if my understanding thus far is correct.

The emanage CAN alter A/F ratio the same exact way as a V-AFC by doing map alterations. It would appear it does this if you change your injectors too. If you have a 440 going into the S, it will calculate 0.818, or making the pulse 81.1% of the original pulse. Like on a vafc - 19. The only way to do that is via the map rout. If I am wrong say so, but please explain where I am wrong. I'm trying to understand.

So my question still holds valitidy. Does altering the map change the timing? Does the black box override the ecu all together? IE is 3deg retard 3 from TDC or 3 from stock firing.

Also from what I've read, you need a pressure sensor to to run the injectors directly. I've been reading the manual on the emanage and I have not yet figured out how to do the injector drives by throtle position. If I am wrong please tell me how to do so. Also it is not altering the original pulse it is an additional pulse. So if you need to extract fuel the only way to do so is via the map rout.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by 03spa
With all due respect, don't tell me I didn't search that hard when I've spent the past 3 weeks doing research on this crap.
With just as much respect, you couldn't have done too good a job of it because I have answered all these questions ad infinitum on this very board and save a major hard dirive corruption they would be findable via the search function.

The emanage CAN alter A/F ratio the same exact way as a V-AFC by doing map alterations.
It can also be used as a paperweight, but it's not how it is intended to be used. You specifically mention upping fuel pressure and your Vortech supercharger so the obvious inference is that you are looking to up fuel.

It would appear it does this if you change your injectors too.
You are correct that if you are increasing injectors the E-manage uses it compensation setting on the MAP signal. Note: your post doesn't mention injectors.

[QUOTE]Does altering the map change the timing?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:20 AM

Thank you very much for the clarification.

I know my questions may seem tedious, however, I have thumbed through 100's of threads, and I am trying to understand this. I don't have a friend I can just call up and say, hey am I getting this right? That's why I come on here.

Thank you again.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:26 AM

Everything Aus said is correct. And I emphasize that you can use the MAP sensor as your sensor for the Additional Injection Map.

The real deal is that if you have an eManage you don't need the Black Box, plain and simple. If you're going to take the matters into your own hands and purchase an eManage to tune the car away from how Vortech tuned it, then get rid of their Black Box. Use the eManage Boost Limiter Cut map to clamp the voltage, use the Additional Injection Map with the MAP sensor set as the pressure sensor to add fuel where needed, use the Injector Size Correction paramater to correctly alter the MAP signal across the board, Use the Air Flow Adjustment map for some non-boost hiccup tuning, and implement the Ignition Harness and map if needed. It's all been done before. One trick to note is using the Injector Size parameter to increase fuel across the board, if you have added larger injectors. For example, if you're injectors are 440cc and you enter that value you'll decrease the MAP signal by X%. If you tell it you only went up to 420cc injectors the percentage of change accross the board will be less, creating more fuel across the board. Taking a little bit of fuel out here and there with the Air Flow Adjustment map will work fine, but you really want to rely on the Injection map when in boost. I don't know that I'd be taking much fuel out with the Air Flow map while in boost as that will in affect increase your timing (that's how the stock air/timing map works).