S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mechanic used axle grease on tranny and shifter, problem?

Old 05-10-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic used axle grease on tranny and shifter, problem?

Hi guys - my 2001 S just recently succumbed to the tail shaft bearing problem, and I had my local guy replace all of the secondary shaft bearings and shifter pivot seat. While he was in there he used normal axle grease on the tranny and shifter. I've read on here several times that urea grease is absolutely necessary for these parts - is this actually the case? Will I be OK with the axle grease on my shifter and transmission?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think a lot of guys jump on the urea grease bandwagon claiming it as the only thing acceptable. Truth is there are many stable greases out there that meet the same demands as urea grease.

That being said, I don't think axle grease is a proper substitute for urea. It will work, but might not last as long. Time will tell. Regreasing the shifter is easy. The input shaft on the trans....not so much. I'd leave it alone and not worry unless you notice any difference.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Redline CV2. Didn't really work at first but it got better. Now it's fine. Mine started off by getting stuck in the down/reverse position so I pulled it apart and cleaned/regreased with Redline CV2.

It has been fine for over two years now, maybe more...
Old 05-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by rmerchant3
I think a lot of guys jump on the urea grease bandwagon claiming it as the only thing acceptable. Truth is there are many stable greases out there that meet the same demands as urea grease.

That being said, I don't think axle grease is a proper substitute for urea. It will work, but might not last as long. Time will tell. Regreasing the shifter is easy. The input shaft on the trans....not so much. I'd leave it alone and not worry unless you notice any difference.
Could I just pull out the shifter and regrease it myself?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by musicforthedeaf
Originally Posted by rmerchant3' timestamp='1431293135' post='23607997

Could I just pull out the shifter and regrease it myself?
Yeah. Release the lock nut on the bottom of the shift knob and unscrew it. Pull up the center console, pull back the rubber boot that covers the 10mm bolts. romove the bolts and pull the shifter out. Pay attention to the orientation in which it comes out. Remove the old grease as best possible and regrease. I like Sil-glyde from NAPA if you don't have Urea grease.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

IMO Urea grease should be used on your throwout bearing and input shaft splines because the temps can get very high. Other greases can't survive as well. But on the shifter and CV joints it's not as important. Besides - they're much easier to get to if you want to regrease them a few years later.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:00 AM

I used marine bearing grease on my shifter. max operating temp is 250 degrees which I doubt ever happens in the shifter area but definitely could happen on the throwout bearing.