S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Metal on Metal Noise After Sitting A Few Days

Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal on Metal Noise After Sitting A Few Days

Hey Guys,
I have been a member for four plus years. Lately, if I let car sit in the garage for a two or more days straight, upon starting the car, I hear a grinding noise like metal on metal coming from what I believe is the engine. It lasts about a second and then the car runs fine. Sounds like the engine is cranking before the oil pump is able to pump any oil into it. The car runs fine after it warms up. However, this noise concerns me so I want to get it fixed. My S2000 is an '01 and has almost 120K miles on it. As of the last six thousand miles, the car has started to burn about a quart and a half of oil between the three thousand mile oil changes. It didn't do that before. I attribute that to the high revving motor getting old and getting some blow by from the old piston rings. However, my main concern is the grinding noise when I leave the car sitting for two or more days. You guys ever heard of this problem? And, if so, what the problem is and how to fix it. Otherwise, the car runs fine. Just some more background info. I use Mobil 1 10W30 on every 3K oil change and Prolong on top of that. I use a Honda OE oil filter with every oil change. The car runs smooth as silk other than this issue. I would really appreciate your help on this topic. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Prolong on top of that
Why?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:20 AM
VAD

Have you updated the oil jet banjo bolts???????? I hope your #4 cylinder is OK.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you ruled out a bad timing chain tensioner?

How long does your oil light stay unlit when you start the car? Did you notice this prior to your last oil change? If not, you might want to try replacing the oil filter. If it had a faulty anti-drainback valve, this might be contributing to your problem.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Does it sound like a starter being engaged, when to engine is running? my has done this a few times.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:14 PM

No, I don't believe I updated the oil jet banjo bolts, is this a factory recall item? I guess I should check up on that. As far as the drainback valve issue is concerned, I changed the oil filter already and that didn't fix the problem. I thought it might have been that problem originally but it did it again after I changed the oil filter. Bad timing chain tensioner....hmmm.... that could be it, has that been a problem with anyone else here? The oil light stays lit for only about a second or so after I actually start the car. I doubt its the starter as I actually work in auto repair and have heard many bad starters in my line of work. Thanks guys for the input. I'll start with your suggestions.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by blackdragon,Jan 13 2006, 11:14 PM
No, I don't believe I updated the oil jet banjo bolts, is this a factory recall item?
Only in Europe. Not in N. America.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the part number for the new oil jet banjo bolt? I want to upgrade but the dealership is only showing one part number for all years. I'm assuming that they only make the 4-holed bolts thus the one number but that's just a guess.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by nvrquit4,Jan 14 2006, 11:05 AM
What is the part number for the new oil jet banjo bolt? I want to upgrade but the dealership is only showing one part number for all years. I'm assuming that they only make the 4-holed bolts thus the one number but that's just a guess.
They don't sell the old style bolts anymore. If you order them, you'll get the new ones.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 14 2006, 12:33 PM
They don't sell the old style bolts anymore. If you order them, you'll get the new ones.
Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm planning on having the jets replaced while they're in there doing the bolts. Had a friend's S crap out right after we did the bolts. Anything else they should plan on replacing while the baby is open?

Quick Reply: Metal on Metal Noise After Sitting A Few Days