S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfire changed spark plugs

Old 06-29-2022, 03:51 PM

Received 1,479 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdi
I'll let him know about the fuel injectors may need to be cleaned out..

S2000 are beautiful motors besides these problems

Birdi
If I were you --- check the valve clearance and do a compression test. Before throwing parts and other maintenance at the engine.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,

So my mechanic got back to me saying that he has a feeling it's the ECU, as its not giving out enough fuel, he checked the injectors and said they are working fine, but everytime the car warms up the misfiring starts.

I am thinking of taking it to honda themselves and paying £150 for a diagonse to find out what the problem could be, do you guys think thats worth it?

Birdi
Old 06-30-2022, 06:37 AM

Received 1,169 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Honda dealers ("honda themselves") with any knowledge of the S2000 are rare in the US so I imagine they are in the UK as well. Average Civic dealer won't have a clue. Hopefully you can get a reference here although it may not be convenient.

-- Chuck
Old 06-30-2022, 06:42 AM

Received 1,280 Likes on 975 Posts

Hey guys,

So my mechanic got back to me saying that he has a feeling it's the ECU, as its not giving out enough fuel, he checked the injectors and said they are working fine, but everytime the car warms up the misfiring starts.

I am thinking of taking it to honda themselves and paying £150 for a diagonse to find out what the problem could be, do you guys think thats worth it?

Birdi
Actual ECU failures are exceedingly rare (shop in my family has seen a handful in 30 years, a bit more common prior to that when ECU's in cars were still maturing) and is the typical thing that is blamed after throwing parts at an issue. Yes, get another shop to look at it.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:56 AM
Jub

Received 395 Likes on 315 Posts

Respectfully, this mechanic sounds like a parts installer and not a mechanic. I would not let him keep throwing parts at it.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:18 AM

Hey guys,

Yeah i was thinking of just simply taking it to honda and get them to diagnose the problem and find out, rather then do all of this. at least and fingers crossed honda should be able to tell me directly whats actually wrong and why my poor old motor is sick

Birdi
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 03:43 PM

Received 1,479 Likes on 993 Posts

Hey guys,

Yeah i was thinking of just simply taking it to honda and get them to diagnose the problem and find out, rather then do all of this. at least and fingers crossed honda should be able to tell me directly whats actually wrong and why my poor old motor is sick

Birdi
Really. Adjust the valves, then do a compression test. All you need is a mechanic that knows how to adjust valves (a good motorcycle mechanic will do), a new gasket kit. And a compression tester.

Then, go from there...
Old 07-01-2022, 07:55 AM

Hey guys,

So i got the car back, and the mechanic said he checked everything, spark plugs, valve pressure, injectors he said everything is fine. The readings he gets sometimes comes up as misfires, then at times it comes up as no faults at all. he said the car can drive fine for 5 mins nothing wrong, once the car warms up then misfires, and the car goes crazy. He said the only thing he could think of is the ECU needs to be reset and hopefully the car should be in working order.

Now if this is true, I saw a video where all you have to do is disconnect the negative terminal from the battery for 30 seconds and reconnect it and the car should reset itself again. Am i wrong?

If not i may need to reset the ECU and find someone local that can do that.

I have driven the car it's driving rough, and misfiring just a little when i rev the car its ok but just does a misfire now and again, so i drove in low gear back home from the garage.

I have a feeling its something simple but not sure what it can be, any more ideas? I need to find all my tools and pull them out and see what happens. Love some guidance.

Birdi
Old 07-01-2022, 08:08 AM

Received 1,280 Likes on 975 Posts

Wiring, grounds, etc can all be at play. The car should not ever be misfiring like that. There is still an issue to chase by someone who can do the proper troubleshooting. Curious if either mechanic has simply driven it while monitoring the data to see what is going on right around the misfire? Any decent mechanic should have the diagnostic tools to do that.

To reset the ECU, you can just disconnect the battery or you can pull the ECU fuse.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:17 AM

Received 302 Likes on 217 Posts

Valve clearances become thighter over time. That is the reason why they should be checked regulary.
Valves expands (Become longer) when they get hot. Valve clearances become thighter over time. When the clearance then is barely enough while the valve is could, the clearance could be to small when the valve heats up and expands.
You car runs perfect when it´s cold and the trouble starts when it beginns to getting hot after 5 Minutes?
And, by the way, a to thight valve can overheat and burn away (Melt) over time when you drive the car spirited. You be warned.

Yes, you could reset the ECU and delete the errors by disconneting the Battery or the main Fuse for 1 Minute.

Quick Reply: Misfire changed spark plugs