S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mishimoto radiator installed...cap leaking. Question about replacement caps

Old 04-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mishimoto radiator installed...cap leaking. Question about replacement caps

I just recently purchased an aluminum Mishimoto radiator to replace my cracked oem denso. It worked great for the first day, but this morning I noticed my temp gauge was at the 4th bar so i shut it down and looked under the hood and found coolant leaking out from around the radiator cap. After reading around I see that the Mishimoto caps are crap, and are notorious for this kind of stuff. I see a lot of people replacing the mishimoto cap with a spoon cap, but I'm not sure which spoon cap fits the mishimoto radiator. There is a type f and type d or something?

Would someone please enlighten me as to which cap to get, or maybe even suggest an alternative (60 bucks for a spoon cap kinda sucks, but if its necessary i dont mind.)

Thanks in advance
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM

bump
Old 04-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you bleed the system after the install???
Old 04-01-2011, 03:40 PM

after you determined that it is a defective cap I would recommend another brand radiator cap...my Mishimoto olne didn't leak but I replaced it anyway...went w/the Skunk2 one that fits Fords, Subarus etc...(Type A)...here is it (but any type B should do...just happens that the Skunk 2 is reasonably priced and looks great:

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...00_Accessories
Old 04-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by AFs2k
Did you bleed the system after the install???
Yes, I did bleed the system.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with their mishimoto radiators cap? I found a few threads about it but couldn't find specifics on what caps they bought to solve the problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,476 Posts

A lot of people have had issues properly bleeding the Mishimoto rad after install, I'd suspect you still have air in the system rather than condemning the cap. I could be wrong but I don't think your car would overheat with a bad cap, I think it is more likely air in the system. I have two Mishimoto caps (the one that came with the rad and I ordered the one with the built in temp guage) , neither of them leaked, though I know some people have reported leaky caps. I think a defective cap would leak but it shouldn't cause the car to overheat unless it is introducing air into the system. I just find so many people doing improper bleed procedures that I would suspect it first. Do you have proper heat ?

My bleed procedure went smoothly and both caps have worked fine for me. I posted a reply on my bleeding procedure in the radiator bleeding post that is on this forum recently if you think it would help.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM

I installed my mishimoto radiator a few months ago and so far have had no issues with the cap they supplied. I have read that a lot of people had issues though.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
A lot of people have had issues properly bleeding the Mishimoto rad after install, I'd suspect you still have air in the system rather than condemning the cap. I could be wrong but I don't think your car would overheat with a bad cap, I think it is more likely air in the system. I have two Mishimoto caps (the one that came with the rad and I ordered the one with the built in temp guage) , neither of them leaked, though I know some people have reported leaky caps. I think a defective cap would leak but it shouldn't cause the car to overheat unless it is introducing air into the system. I just find so many people doing improper bleed procedures that I would suspect it first. Do you have proper heat ?

My bleed procedure went smoothly and both caps have worked fine for me. I posted a reply on my bleeding procedure in the radiator bleeding post that is on this forum recently if you think it would help.
Don't you think that the fact that coolant was seeping out from under the cap would indicate a problem with it? And thanks for the link to the bleed procedure. I do plan on re-bleeding since some coolant leaked out.

Edit: Yes I do have proper heat. It starts out somewhat lukewarm, but then when the car warms up it gets pretty damn hot, which seems normal.

So it looks like you guys who posted in this thread had better luck with their mishimoto rad caps than I have, but nonetheless there is a lot of talk about people having issues with them, so it still seems entirely possible that mine is no good. I'm probably gonna end up getting either the skunk2 type A cap or the Spoon cap--which brings up another question. If I were to go with the Spoon cap do I need the type D or the type F for the mishimoto rad?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM

So if I were to get the Spoon cap does the Mishimoto radiator use the type D or type F cap?

And thanks for all the insight everyone
Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Mishimoto caps are crap it is the spoon type f that you want kamispeed sells them for $41.any cap designed for an aftermarket radiator will work

Quick Reply: Mishimoto radiator installed...cap leaking. Question about replacement caps