S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE Motor Oils & Filters

Old 02-14-2005, 10:11 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mugenpower_s2k' date='Feb 14 2005, 12:18 PM
you know what? why don't we just follow the old fashion way, mobil 1 synthetic, 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first, the safe way and the best way to take care of your baby's heart!
That's exactly what I was thinking. Except I change mine every 2000 miles. But I'm FI and very particular about keeping the oil clean and fresh.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mugenpower_s2k' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:18 AM
you know what? why don't we just follow the old fashion way, mobil 1 synthetic, 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first, the safe way and the best way to take care of your baby's heart!
This makes so much sense and is not that expensive nor does it take that much effort. Why are people looking for that "magic bullet"? 15,000 miles oil change interval? That's for fat cats who love their Barcaloungers and their Mercedes.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kool...oil that last for 15xxx miles...

this isn't going to stop me from doing my regular 3-5xxx mile changes on synthetic mobil 1. i rather have piece of mind.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper' date='Feb 14 2005, 10:14 AM
Finally, someone with a bit of common sense. I'm looking into my crystal ball and what do I see? ............................
Someone is going to use a "new, super-duper" oil that claims to last 50,000 miles. Being a frugal person at heart, Mr. Lazy-Cheapskate opts to go with this oil in his S2000. Becoming complacent with this LOOOOOOONG lasting oil, he also negects checking the oil level and thinks to himself, "If the oil can last this long, the filter must be good for that long too". Reaching the 1500 mile mark after this change, his oil level sinks to below the add, but is never checked. Reaching the 5000 mile mark, the oil level gets down to about 2 qts in the pan, but since this oil is so good, he continues to drive without any ill effects. Another few thousand miles of VTECing goes by and there is no oil left in the pan, the oil light has been on for the last couple of thousand miles, but Mr. Lazy-Cheapskate mistakes this for some irrelevent "idiot" light and keeps driving. Once his engine is torn down, they discover sludge everywhere, the filter completely clogged BUT the few remaining drops of his "super-duper" oil is in "AS NEW" condition. What a GREAT oil that was.

(It's not how long lasting a given oil is for an S2000. It's the mentality it gives to the owner using it that scares me.)
Not trying to nit-pick, but I'm pretty sure the oil light doesn't come on until there is NO oil pressure. If that is the case, the car won't run for more than a few miles with the oil light on before it will sieze up.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by gernby' date='Feb 14 2005, 03:58 PM
Not trying to nit-pick, but I'm pretty sure the oil light doesn't come on until there is NO oil pressure. If that is the case, the car won't run for more than a few miles with the oil light on before it will sieze up.
Gernby, haven't you seen those Prolong ads, they run the car clear across town with no oil in the crankcase.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i take it no one has tried this oil yet lol
Its good to hear everyonez opinion on this. I was going to try the oil out just to see how it was but I dont think anyone would leave their oil in the car that long... Besides, as many cruzes and miles I put on the car, everytime I change the oil its black, and I change it every 3000. Im sticking to Mobil 1 syn until someone tries that out
Old 02-14-2005, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arguably, you could just change the filter every 3000 miles and keep adding oil to top it off. This wouldn't save you a lot of money, but it could save you some. If I had a nine liter dry sump system, for instance, I would be highly motivated to extend my oil flush interval by this method.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by TeamVirtuozity.com' date='Feb 14 2005, 04:53 PM
So i take it no one has tried this oil yet lol
Its good to hear everyonez opinion on this. I was going to try the oil out just to see how it was but I dont think anyone would leave their oil in the car that long... Besides, as many cruzes and miles I put on the car, everytime I change the oil its black, and I change it every 3000. Im sticking to Mobil 1 syn until someone tries that out
I don't think you need to wait for someone to try it first. Mobil 1 makes good products and I doubt you would be disappointed in the quality of this new juice. I think everyone's point is that the regular Mobil 1 is quite good for the manufacturer's recommended change interval, that going with this "better" oil won't hurt anything. I just don't think you'll see any miracles here if you did use it. It will perform just as adequately as its "normal" sibling product. The advertised extra "longevity" won't necessarily protect your engine any better. If you want to use it and if doing so will give you "peace of mind" then go ahead. For you, it may very well be worth the extra buck a qt.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't admit it if I weren't drinking, but I've been getting pretty lacks on my oil changes. I've been going close to 6K miles on regular Mobil 1 10W-30. Honestly, I will probably go ahead and spend the extra $4 to get this new stuff next time. Note: I haven't done ANY hard driving (track events, autocrosses, etc.) since I started doing this. I have always changed my oil on <3K intervals when any sort of competitive event was involved. I'm sure I will do the same in the future (when competing) regardless of any manufacturer's claims.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with xviper, I just got 5qt of these new mobil 1 oil for my next oil change. I'll see how it performs compared to the older mobil 1, I don't think it's gonna be any different like xviper had said but just thought I give it a try since it's mobil 1 .

Quick Reply: MOBIL 1 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE Motor Oils & Filters