S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

modication to stock ap2 exhaust help

Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modication to stock ap2 exhaust help

was wanting to have the exhaust a bit more aggressive and possibly gain a few HP but don't want to fork out the 1k to do so. I was thinking of removing the stock resonator box on the catback with just a straight pipe. Has anyone done this before? Also, yes i know i can get a test pipe and do that but i dont want my car to have that funny smell as most do when minus that Cat. + it would be destroying the Ozone
Old 12-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea they take out the resonator but there is no gains, and alot of people dont like the raspy sound.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:19 AM

I bought my car with a test pipe and the resonator removed, and the buzz from the exhaust is killing me. If putting the cat back on doesn't help I'm going to have to get another exhaust.

I would not remove that resonator if I were you.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by deathsled,Dec 13 2006, 06:19 AM
I bought my car with a test pipe and the resonator removed, and the buzz from the exhaust is killing me. If putting the cat back on doesn't help I'm going to have to get another exhaust.

I would not remove that resonator if I were you.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:33 PM

raspy sounds nasty
Old 12-13-2006, 04:52 PM

I have had the resonator removed from my 04 for a couple months now. The sound is deeper than OEM and I do not have any drone or raspyness. Just a little more aggressive than stock and only cost about $40. I kept the resonator so I can always add it back, but I don't see why I would. Saves about 5-7lbs too.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by NFR04,Dec 13 2006, 05:52 PM
I have had the resonator removed from my 04 for a couple months now. The sound is deeper than OEM and I do not have any drone or raspyness. Just a little more aggressive than stock and only cost about $40. I kept the resonator so I can always add it back, but I don't see why I would. Saves about 5-7lbs too.
You removed the resonator or catalitic?

Do you get a check engine light?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 PM

I had the resonator removed on my stock exhaust and drove that way for about 25k miles. I loved the sound at higher RPMs. It's the way the car should have sounded stock. It's been proven this mod has no impact on HP, but it's worth it for the $60 I paid. Not sure how it would sound with a testpipe... I suspect that might make a less desireable sound.

Now I have Invidia... I <3 hearing loss.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my resonator removed, but the only change was in the sound. It had a bit of a deeper growl.

I also went ahead and chopped off my stock canister to run a straight pipe. Power gain was insane. The car would go through vtec transition and pull like a mutha!!!! It also sounded like a JGTC car, but the downfll was it was way to loud for daily use. The drone was insane, and my teeth would crinch while driving.

I then had the canisters out back and aught a test pipe. Sound was very nice. Got deeper but higher pitched also. Mine was a bit raspy but only because my flywheel would rev the car so fast it made it sound like a bike. Good power gains out of it, and I never smelled anything while in the car. However according to my friends who would follow in there cars behind they could smell a bit of what was being thrown out at them now.

Hope that helps.

I hve videos of all these I've explained, and I will try to post them for you once I find where they are.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:09 PM

Spicyhands - I just had the resonator removed. Left the catalitic and everything else alone. No check engine lights or any issues. Nice sound for just a few bucks. However, I do agree there is no noticible power improvement. This is a sound only mod. There is a nice post over in the other fourm (S2KCA) that details what needs to be done with pictures that you can take to the shop of your choice. Let me know if you want it and I will post or email you the link.

Quick Reply: modication to stock ap2 exhaust help