S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Modifications for Perfomance

Old 02-27-2002, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you say the K&N does nothing, have you compared the amount of air flow between the mesh and a paper filter. Every aftermarket Intake company uses the K&N mesh, from Mugen to Apexi to Injen to AEM... then there are those companies such as Spoon, Greddy, HKS, and Weapon R who use foam.

The filter is a good element, it doesn't matter weather you go with the K&N name or any other brand. Anything will flow more air than the stock paper filter. However, for those of us who plan on using the stock air box, there are only three or four filters avaliable... K&N and Spoon being the only two with the same OE specs as far as mounting and size.

Here's a secon try at the pics...

Old 02-27-2002, 09:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leo Gets
[B]How can you say the K&N does nothing, have you compared the amount of air flow between the mesh and a paper filter.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by shingles
... and since this is well within the margine of error on a dyno, you never know...
This is so important to remember. When it comes to air filters, I personally feel that you just go with theory, not dyno-proven power. And it's not like they cost $100.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[B]How can you say the K&N does nothing, have you compared the amount of air flow between the mesh and a paper filter.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:32 AM

Old 02-27-2002, 10:45 AM

Its true, an air filter alone is not the pinicle of perfromance upgrades, but it is however part of the fundamentals. Between intake, header and exhaust most will find somewhere between 2-12hp, and though these numbers may not excite you as per how much one pays for all this... it is a matter of foundation... other modifications, internal work, head work, computer work, and power adders like nitrous, sc, and turbo will gain more power and work more effictivley when the car can suck and release more air (more air=more fuel=more hp).

Better gas mileage and increased passing power are added when allowing a car to breath better, and as I stated before brand to me is more a matter or choice, but changing these producs all together is always a good start toward better performance.

As far as flow charts here you go:
Old 02-27-2002, 10:49 AM

Welcome and enjoy the S2000! My advice is to stock as it is for first few weeks! By then you should know what you want from your car...If you're like me, aftermarket alarm and stereo was the main priority to swap since this was my daily driver.
It took me 7000kms before I did my first performance mod..K&N Air Filter (now sold to a DC2 Integra owner for a phatter AEM Cold Air Intake!)
Keep us posted on your new baby's progress!
Old 02-27-2002, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Christ, if I see this graph one more time...

[B]Its true, an air filter alone is not the pinicle of perfromance upgrades, but it is however part of the fundamentals.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by marcucci
Honda designed about as perfect an intake system as you can on a stock vehicle for the S2000. [/B]
I totally agree with you on this point, that's why I've decided to keep the stock box in place.
The only modifications I planed on making to Honda's almost perferct box, where:
1)pluging the silencer (which I alredy did)
2)cutting out the inner wall so the entire box can fill with air (which I alredy did)
3)adding a better flowing filter in the box (I used K&N)
4)adding a cold air extension to the box (Spoon ram air style cold air extension) - coming soon
5)adding a hard pipe from the thortle to the box (cutom carbon/kevlar fabrication) - also coming soon

I love the Spoon CAI, and there has to be a reason why Spoon (a company with decades of r&d) uses the stock air box:
Old 02-27-2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by marcucci
...If anyone can factualy dispute that, please do. Dyno plots only, please...
Letting my car sit (cool down) for 20 minutes inbetween dynos picked up 6 HP. I don't take any of the air filter dyno's as fact. If you saw 2-3 HP on a certain filter there's no way to rule out that the engine wasn't cooler by the time the 2nd dyno was run. 2-3 RWHP is 1%-1.5%. I don't think that's a "measurable" gain when it comes to cars/dynos.

Quick Reply: Modifications for Perfomance