S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Mugen CAI install queries

Old 04-29-2002, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mugen CAI install queries

I've just got my Mugen CAI. (Thanks to King.)

Now, I've done a search and read quite a lot of useful tips for the installation. However, most of the pics were on Photopoint, so aren't on the thread anymore.

Anyway, a couple of queries:

- The airguide cut. I've a spare air guide, so I've matched this up to the end of the CAI. The section the instructions tell you to cut, is quite a bit narrower than the CAI opening. I understand from a post by Luis, that the end of the CAI sits just touching, or above the air guide. Now, I plan of leaving as much of the air guide in place as possible, but I'm wondering if it's worth extending the cut to make it a little wider? If anyone has a picture looking up into the CAI from the bumper opening, that would really help.
- The bonnet (hood) cut. The diagram in the instructions, looks straighforward enough. Firstly, has anyone done the cut without taking the hood off? I'm planning on using a dremel to make the cut. Also, several people have ended up extending the cut in order to get the hood to close correctly. Any tips on the best way to check the cut is the right size? I'm wary of dropping the hood to close it, if the cut's not right! I've bought a spare wheel arch trim piece for dressing the edge of the cut.

I'm planning to do the install in the next few days - I've a track day on Saturday, which should be a good chance to really test the CAI!

Any other suggestions or tips would be welcomed. The instructions seem pretty good, but I'm sure there are tips!

Thanks in advance!

-Brian.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! I also installed the Mugen CAI (with rstark's tools and help). Getting a shot from the grill, of the CAI would be very difficult, since you would need an L-shaped lens (unless you could get one from directly under the car, which I do not have easy access to the jack and jack stands.). I'm hoping to overcome this whole airguide problem by getting the Mugen front bumper (eventually).

In regards to the hood cut, we measured and re-measured but after cutting according to the instructions, the hood was not sitting flush on the side that the CAI was on! Thank goodness the carbon fiber is strong, or I could be out $1,500 for a cracked CAI. Anyway, we cut a little more (about a centimeter) and it closed flush. I advise that if you have any doubts, take a measuring tape and measure from the left edge of the engine bay (facing the car) and to the right edge of the intake, then repeat the steps from the left edge of the hood to the end of the cut and see if the measurements clear.

BTW, we also used a dremel for the cut and it works fine. Just don't let the wheel go too deep into the hood or it could come out the other end and you'll end up with a vented hood
Also, we didn't have to take the hood off. For someone who has installed these before (like King), it would probably only take about 45 min. to 1 hour to install, but we took our time (steep learning curve) and took several hours. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2002, 10:46 PM

Just to add to what smccurry posted, as for cutting the hood, when you're done with the cut, close the hood, but not all the way (just so it sits on the latch. Get a flashlight and look and the cut part and look at the CAI. I could see that the cut we made was not long enough (had to extend the cut towards the passenger side of the hood if I remember correctly). Like smccurry said, go slow with the dremel and use two hands to hold it. Oh yeah, take breaks often and make sure you wear safety goggles. Last tip, get an old bed sheet and place it over the engine bay, fenders and front bumper so the metal shavings are easier to clean up (ask me how I know! ).
Old 04-30-2002, 08:44 AM

Hi Brian,
I have made a template thats kicking around somewhere. I also found the measurements to be wrong. I used the old trick of talc on the carbon fibre, lowered the hood gently and then looked where the talc was binding. The talc just polished off - car smelt like Johnsons afterwards though!
The finisher trim has to bend back over some very sharp angles. The wheel trim did not go over a 1cm backwards radius. Again, there are some good classic car trimmers about and you are welcome to look at my samples and decide on which is best. I have used a mini trim - Tifosi Red has a picture that he took at the Hook meeting - he was impressed with the finish! PM me if you want ot have a chat.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the tip, guys.

After 7 hours (taking my time) the CAI is succesfully installed.

Here's some things I found that might help anyone else doing the same install:

- Used masking tape to mark the exact position of the bonnet (hood) latch. This meant I got it back in exactly the right place.
- I didn't take need the bumper off. I was able to remove the air guide for cutting without removing the bumper. If your arms are thin enough to be able to get at the air guide clips, then it's simple enough to flex the air guide a little for getting it in and out.
- I cut a little more out of the air guide than in the diagram. The diagram leaves the plastic between 2 of the little slits. I took this out as well - so the cutout is very close to the same size as the intake.
- I didn't use all the double sided tape for the rubber trim strip at the front. Instead, it was tacked with a few cut down peices. Much easier to get the trim in place. This was a nice touch by Mugen - it really does look factory.
- For siliding the intake in place, I had a helper holding the bonnet latch, and pressing the air guide in. This made it straightforward to get it in place.
- For the bonnet cut, I used a Dremel. Kept the bonnet on the car - but raised it for getting a better cutting angle for some bits. Had newspaper over the engine bay, held in place with masking tape. Also had a helper following close to the Dremel with a vacuum cleaner. This made a big difference. I was wearing googles. The cut did need epxanding a little on the far side from the bonnet latch. Ended up with a nice even clearance all round. The Mugen diagram was very cose though - just a little undersided. It's a pain to mark the area on the bonnet though, due to the curvature. I used masking tape, which worked out nicely. Covered the CAI with masking tape, and dabbed Tipex on the boonet cut (also masked) in order to find the high spots. There's a reinforcing piece near the front of the cut, that also needed trimming.
- Dressed the bonnet cut with split vacuum piping. Looks great.
- The bolt for the air control valve was too long. It was hitting the sensor body, before being tight. I used a washer to space this in the end. I was a bit disappointed by this, since every other part was absolutely spot on.
- I fitted the Mugen logo sticker lower down. I just think it looks further down.

Overall, I'm very impressed by the quality and design of the CAI, and the way it performs. It's not too daunting to install yourself, but it's best to have an extra set of hands for a few bits, and have the car somewhere you can take your time over the work.

-Brian.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:44 PM

Congratulations on a successful install. Good job on the description too. It will certainly make it easier for the next self-installer.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by smccurry
Congratulations on a successful install. Good job on the description too. It will certainly make it easier for the next self-installer.
Thanks. I'm amazed at the difference the Mugen CAI has made to my car. (It was 8 degrees C outside for my first drive, but it's still a big improvement! UK Climate... ). So it's nice to think I might help someone else fit one!

-Brian.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:04 PM

hey bmarshall, do you have any pics of the cut with and without the split vacuum piping? i just want to see how clean of a cut is possible with a dremel, did you use a the cutting disc? then sand it with a wheel? how straight were you able to get the lines? it seems pretty difficult, and one job i saw looked really really bad, thanks
Old 08-12-2002, 03:18 PM

bshigeta,
when we did smccurry's car, the cut didn't come out too bad. You have to have steady hands, and we used the fiberglass re-enforced cut off wheel. Don't worry about the jagged edges so much, just apply touch up paint to where you made the cut then you can buy some fuel line (for R/C gas cars, planes, etc), cut a slice down the middle and silicone it to the edges that you cut. If you can find black fuel line, it will look sweet.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:12 PM

cool, thanks, anyone know of anyone selling a pre-cut hood? i know there was one guy who bought a carbon fiber hood after the fact, and was selling one, anybody? or has anybody tried selling the car with the hood cut? probably better at that point just to sell the car with the mugen cai

Quick Reply: Mugen CAI install queries