S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Musings on glass rear window (transplant)

Old 09-18-2001, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Musings on glass rear window (transplant)

I spent some time last night playing with the top and rear window. Based on the press release pics we've seen, I don't think that the glass will swap with our plastic window.

Fold your top down. You will notice that the plastic window bends about 6-8" from the to upper "seam" where it meets the canvas. No matter how I tried, either by holding it, bolstering it with cardboard, or any other method, I could not get it to not fold. I don't see how a piece of glass would withstand this, even if it wasn't as tall.

Has anyone else tried to "prototype" like this? As near as I can tell this glass will not swap in.
Old 09-18-2001, 05:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that minor changes in the geometry were probably made to accommodate the glass. After looking at it when first announced I decided to go ahead and replace my scarred plastic window with a plastic replacement.
Old 09-18-2001, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The glass window on the '02s is considerable smaller than our window. If you notice the bottom edge has about 6"-8" less visible space. I do think this is where the window will fold - or at least I hope.

Looking at the FSM, it seems conceivable it could fit. Our window is zipped in place. A huge amount of material is attached to the plastic which extends all the way back to the C pillar. Our top also has *no* braces beyond the C pillar. From the drivers head back, the material falls into place when the top is retracted. Structurally, I dont see what Honda would have to change on the top - there just arent any braces back there.
Old 09-18-2001, 06:39 AM

Any tips on keeping it from scarring? I use a towel on it, but it doesn't seem to prevent anything. Still scuffs where the hoops/bends are.
Old 09-18-2001, 06:50 AM

I cover the floor of the hood compartment with a soft back fabric, backed with a non-slip rubber.

Also, I use a roll of sponge (about 2 " dia) covered in the same soft black material, the two ends of which are tucked into the overlaps of the hood either side of the window. This latter solution is of use only when dropping the hood ready for the hard-top though - it's just too much hassle to use on a regular basis.

Peter Evans UK
Old 09-18-2001, 06:58 AM

This is off topic - but:
Use "Scratch Off" to clean the window and back it up with Plexus to polish and coat - the window will stay clean for months.

Scratch off works incredibly well. Tape up the outside edges of the top when using it to prevent the paste from getting embedded in the fabric.
Old 09-18-2001, 01:55 PM

I have some definitive information now.

I just recieved my '00-'02 Parts Catalog today. Browsing through the SOFT TOP section, I find:

- revised handle, lock, and striker for '02
- new misc. hardware (screws, plugs, washers, etc.)
- COMPLETELY DIFFERENT P/N FOR TOP which INCLUDES rear glass (86310-S2A-J01)
- COMPLETELY DIFFERENT P/N FOR the boot (86380-S2A-901)

Oddly enough, except for misc. hardware (the screws, plugs, washers, etc.), the mechanics (hoops, motor, etc.) of the top are the same. This would lead me to believe that at the very least, the entire canvas/window could be upgraded, possibly jsut the rear window if you could locate one. IT IS NOT available seperately according to the parts catalog, therefore a dealership would not be able to order it.

When I look up the new top number in hparts.com's database, I get some bracket (wrong part). I've checked this number twice, and it's what's in the Parts Catalog. I think Hparts' site just doesn't have 2002 numbers in it yet. Checking the '01 and '00 top results in a $670 pricetag, I'm sure the new one won't be cheaper.

Ouch.
Old 09-18-2001, 02:08 PM

Interesting...
What is the part number for our plastic window? Maybe just a digit changed to denote a new model year? I dunno - grasping at clouds here. I do like the fact that the braces are still the same - could be a simple swap.

I wonder if the new boot is easier to install! - and looks better.
Old 09-18-2001, 02:18 PM

Designing a convertible top, particularly a powered one, is one of the more complicated engineering elements in a car. I feel fairly confident that the glass window will be a direct refit. If not, the top will be a direct refit on the frame. Of course, we'll see.

The other thing that makes me expect an easy refit is the cheesy size and odd shape of the glass window.
Old 09-18-2001, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ContachPatch
[B]Interesting...
What is the part number for our plastic window?

Quick Reply: Musings on glass rear window (transplant)