S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is my car falling apart? - HELP!!!

Old 08-13-2001, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure this has been discussed before, but can someone tell me why these spacers are placed in the springs in the first place?
Old 08-13-2001, 03:47 PM

S2Krazy, I'm not sure that the spacers would make that noise or not, but when i heard a noise from my car like you describe, it turned out to be my spare tire. I had removed it at a local track day and when i put it back in i didnt tighten it down all the way... thus the metal washer was clanging around on the metal wheel.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:01 PM

Received 5,096 Likes on 3,073 Posts

Failure to remove the spacers is a very common complaint with the Mazda Miata folks... first I've heard of a Honda screw up. . . quess it's not a perfect world even in a Honda.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to ANY Honda dealer and have them remove the spacers and give you a service ticket documenting what they did.

Save that ticket.

If you have problems later, it will be proof of the original dealer's error.

You can ask for whatever you want in extra warranty or free replacement car or whatever, but lets get real. No one has ever shown any harm has come from this gross negligence.

They goofed. If no harm was done, they should be embarrassed but they shouldn't automatically give you a $1,500 or $3,000 freebie.

Guys, who do you think pays for those freebies in the long run, the Honda stockholders? the dealers? 'Fraid not.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Chipster
I am sure this has been discussed before, but can someone tell me why these spacers are placed in the springs in the first place?
Saves wear and tear on the shocks on the boat.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by jschmidt

Saves wear and tear on the shocks on the boat.
Actually the spring spacers modify the entrance and exit angles on the car so the front bodywork doesn't scrape when loaded and unloaded.

P.S. Your noise may also be related to a loose spare tire wing nut (much more common source of this noise)

Utah
Old 08-13-2001, 09:19 PM

You guys are all a lot of help. I really appreciate it. Here's the scoop. I had to go to Rhode Island (I live in Boston) to get the car discounted when I bought it. Basically, getting any service done in Rhode Island is out of the question. I brought the car up to a local Honda dealer (Honda North) first thing this morning. They were very concerned with the fact that the spacers were still in and told me I should also be concerned. I gave them the keys and was about to wrap it up and leave when they told me they were going to charge me $35 (I think 1/2 hr. labor) to remove the spacers. They told me that the dealer that sold the car got payed to prep the car and it's not their responsibilty. To top it off they wouldn't give me a ride to work in the shuttle so I walked 8 miles to work! $#@$@#@$%. Well, I was BS. I just left, went to work and called the Rhode Island dealer I bought the car from. I made him call and bitch at Honda North who later called to tell me the car was ready, there was no visible damage, and they were not going to charge me. I asked them to add details onto the service report (how many spacers, what wheels, etc.) before I took the car.

Honestly, to tell you the truth, the car doesn't seem feel any different just driving, but it was also raining today so I didn't corner real hard. I can tell it's sitting lower however, especially the front. It seems to be ok, but I have concerns. My last car was a lemon and caused me hell every week I had it. I just dread that with this car. I'm debating whether or not to ask for the extended warranty on the vehicle.
-----
I should -
The car was very diry inside and out when I got it - they had to drive it up from Rhode Island - long story

It looked like the top was left down outside and it was all dust

I truly believe a problem (with the suspension or rear end) could arise in the future do to this mess up

I didn't "beat them up" on the price - I took their offer and left it at that, it being very fair
-----
I shouldn't
I'm a dealer myself and I don't like when people try to squeeze the freebies out of the dealer for no reason

The extended warranty would cover far more than what could have been damaged from this incident.

???? I dunno ????
Old 08-13-2001, 09:21 PM

BTW, Barry WY Silver/Black:

Your car looks great with the hard top. That's the first silver I've seen with it. Nice!
Old 08-14-2001, 04:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to the owner of the Rhode Island dealer. Involve the Regional AHM rep.

Ask for a letter from AHM stating they are aware that their franchised dealer'mechanic failed to properly prep your car and that if any damage arrises from that failure in the future even after three years or 36,000 miles that AHM will make sure that their Rhode Island dealer or AHM covers the costs of the repair.

Explain to the dealer and the AHM rep that you're not trying to rip them off, but you know they erred and you expect them to make good on any possible damages done to your car.

Alternately, you might ask for an AHM extended warranty that you buy from the Rhode Island dealer and ask the dealer to provide it to you AT DEALER'S COST so that AHM will still get their share but the dealer won't get his share and you will get the extended warranty steeply discounted, below market price.

You might have to involve an attorney if you meet total resistance, but you have a right to be warranted against unforseen future damage.

I personally doubt that there will be any unforseen future damage that would not show up during the car's regular 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. But that is not the point. Why should you be burdened with that anxiety.

When my short block failed at 650 miles, I asked my dealer if I could purchase a steeply discounted AHM warranty. I lost the use of my two month old car for a month. My confidence in the F20C's longevity was shaken. AHM agreed. I didn't rent a car or ask for a loaner for a month or try to whinge in any other way. Of course, my dealer knew I had a perfectly good daily driver Prelude to use during the month. When AHM did that for me, it seemed like they went the extra mile. Also, I didn't ask for it for free but offered to pay for part of the extended warranty ($500 for 7 year, 70,000 mile.)