S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is it my Differential?

Old 03-30-2002, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it my Differential?

On wendsday i was did a hard lauched and all of a sudden i hear this big clunk . Of coarse the car didnt move and when i put the car in gear all i hear is a really loud clunk but no movement. Well after all i had the car towed (flatbed of course) to my local performance shop wehre i had my new clutch installed hoping that it had something to do with that(BTW i do not have a stock clutch disk). Well after checking i t out they said that it was the shaft (that long black thing that connects tranny to the diff.) but i dont really think it was that i think its my differential since i havent heard of anybody breaking what i broke. I need to hear from guys with a simillar experience to see if when they broke their differential sounded like this. BTW the car did not leak anything and no smoke came out and when i was rolling it to and off the tow truck it still did the clunking sound. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah and after i got the clutch disk intalled i felt a funny vibration and a funny noise too when engaging the clutch. After break in (aroung 800miles) i took it in and they said that it was due to the clutch engaging too rough and that it was normal but that they were going to check it out anyways on thurs. unfortunatly a day too late.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:38 PM

i am pretty sure it has to do with your differentials. a lot of people on here have had problems with their differentials, especially if you launch your car too much.. that is one weak point about the S. i am very surprised that Honda hasnt put a better differential on the car since many people have problems with it. I think Comptech has an upgraded differential, which you might want to think about when fixing the differentials.

keeps us updated
Old 03-30-2002, 12:53 PM

i am pretty sure it has to do with your differentials. a lot of people on here have had problems with their differentials, especially if you launch your car too much.. that is one weak point about the S. i am very surprised that Honda hasnt put a better differential on the car since many people have problems with it. I think Comptech has an upgraded differential, which you might want to think about when fixing the differentials.

keeps us updated
Old 03-30-2002, 01:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You might have broken the teeth off the pinion gear.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of clutch?

If the drive shaft was broken you would be able to see it.

I guess you wouldn't have your car with you? When the car is in the air, try rotating the wheels (with the brake off) if they turn easy and opposit directions the diff is fine, also put it in neutral and turn the drive shaft by hand, the wheels should turn the same direction.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:25 AM

its a custom made clutch they sent my disc in to a shop and made one from bronze...grips like hell i even get chirps on 4th once a while. But it doesnt look broken to meit just clunks when it rolls. But i couldnt do the test for the broken fiff. so i gotta wait for tomorrow to get the results ill keep you guys posted and thanks for the concerns.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:40 AM
SaV

Try cmnsense's method. I noticed that it was extremely hard to rotate a wheel before my car's diff went to hell. Also try putting your car into gear and disengage the clutch. If your car stalls, it is your diff; if it can rev freely, yet the car won't move, it is either your driveshaft or halfshafts/cv joints. If you bring in your car to have it repaired, remember to have them check all of these parts (diff, driveshaft, halfshafts/cv joints) just to avoid complications that may result in a later time. Lastly, DELETE this thread. Honda views this forum daily and will do all they can to deny this incident as a warranty work. Since you have already claimed that you launched your car, this would not help you in your case. Trust me, I had to go through your situation before(Honda tried to deny me my diff because of my avatar; don't they even know that is one of the greatest poets of our time, Tupac Shakur ) Good luck. Latez!
Old 03-31-2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by S2SaV
Try cmnsense's method. I noticed that it was extremely hard to rotate a wheel before my car's diff went to hell. Also try putting your car into gear and disengage the clutch. If your car stalls, it is your diff; if it can rev freely, yet the car won't move, it is either your driveshaft or halfshafts/cv joints. If you bring in your car to have it repaired, remember to have them check all of these parts (diff, driveshaft, halfshafts/cv joints) just to avoid complications that may result in a later time. Lastly, DELETE this thread. Honda views this forum daily and will do all they can to deny this incident as a warranty work. Since you have already claimed that you launched your car, this would not help you in your case. Trust me, I had to go through your situation before(Honda tried to deny me my diff because of my avatar; don't they even know that is one of the greatest poets of our time, Tupac Shakur ) Good luck. Latez!

Thanks for the tips even the deletion one...and yeah i will try to spin the tires on monday but in the mean while i was wondering if there are any aftermarket shafts...BTW when i put the car in gear and than dissengage the clutch its when i hear the big clunk and i cant even move an inch and also when the car in rolling in neutral (back or forward) i hear the clunt.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you had the car towed to the shop that did the clutch install and they TELL you it's the driveshaft but you don't believe them and want to believe it's the diff that broke? I just do not understand this kind of logic.

Or the kind of logic that thinks that this (or any) street car should stand 8-9K RPM clutch dumps and NOT break something! Or that Honda should pay for your obvious mistake.

One of the reasons our car is so wonderful is that it is fairly light for its size and power output, so things will break if you abuse them. This is not a 70 Chevelle SS, for pete's sake.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 00BLACKS2K
[B]So you had the car towed to the shop that did the clutch install and they TELL you it's the driveshaft but you don't believe them and want to believe it's the diff that broke? I just do not understand this kind of logic.

Or the kind of logic that thinks that this (or any) street car should stand 8-9K RPM clutch dumps and NOT break something! Or that Honda should pay for your obvious mistake.

One of the reasons our car is so wonderful is that it is fairly light for its size and power output, so things will break if you abuse them. This is not a 70 Chevelle SS, for pete's sake.

Quick Reply: Is it my Differential?