S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My Dyno Results w/Vortech, AEM and RC 550cc's

Old 03-27-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, finally got my Vortech SC tuned with the AEM EMS and RC Engineering 550cc injectors by Frank Smith at SoFla Performance. First of all, I can't tell you guys how good it felt to finally be rid of that POS black box that came with the Vortech kit. Frank took one look at that thing after we pulled it and said: "This really scares me." Secondly, I can't say enough about how talented, thorough and knowledgeable Frank is as an AEM tuner. This guy REALLY knows his sh*t...and the results speak for themselves. Suffice it to say that, unless Frank suddenly disappears, I will NEVER need the services of another tuning shop again.

FYI, the only "performance" mods on my car (other than SC) are an upgraded clutch & lighter flywheel, Invidia exhaust and Denso IK24 plugs. Outside temp on dyno day was @ 75 degrees F.

A gratuitous shot of my car getting ready to go on the dyno:

The obligatory pic of my car on the dyno:

And the results on SFP's Dynojet (3rd gear pull):

A few points of interest. First, Frank has VTEC engaging at 3,200 RPM (and no, that's not a typo). The difference in the car is simply AMAZING. After putting the SC on, I couldn't wait to drive it; now, I can't even stop THINKING about driving it. It is a completely different experience. The car feels like a beast.

Second, you will note that the AF ratio is VERY conservative at 12.1 MAX. This was Frank's idea, not mine. I wanted to push it to 12.5 at WOT and make more power, but Frank said . He feels that 12.5 is simply too risky on the F20C. I debated with him for some time about this, but in the end you see who won out. At this point, I am just happy knowing that I have 327 ponies at the wheels...and there is more power to be made if we want to go there.

Finally, b/c of the issue with the EMS and the temp gauge (it no longer works! ), Frank set the CEL to go off if the temp exceeds 235 degrees F. AEM really needs to address this issue, and I hope they do so in future versions of the EMS software.

All in all, I am VERY pleased. The power delivery is now soooo much smoother, and throttle response is incredibly improved. Now I just need to think up some more excuses to get in my car.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to the AEM EMS club. How much boost are you huffing or is that puffing? Are you running the stock pulley? What octane were you running?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa that's good stuff! Congrats!

Just out of curiosity... by having the VTEC engagement point set that low, does that have any long term effects on engine reliability since you'll be cruising in VTEC basically all the time? Might take a toll on the engine in a long run.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sideways
Welcome to the AEM EMS club.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Chitah831

Just out of curiosity... by having the VTEC engagement point set that low, does that have any long term effects on engine reliability since you'll be cruising in VTEC basically all the time? Might take a toll on the engine in a long run.
I actually asked my tuner this very same question, and he said no. I trust him. Also, the car is only driven @ 50 miles/week, and 95% of those are highway miles to boot, so I'm not too concerned. If it was my daily driver, I might feel differently.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:27 PM

holy jebrezzzzz!! that is awesome. 3200 vtec
Old 03-27-2004, 09:45 PM

Well 50 miles a week is hardly anything. You should really drive your car more often

That's pretty strange how it wouldn't really have an effect. I'd think since the 2nd cams will be running more often and sooner it might have some sort of issue down the line. But hopefully he's right
Old 03-28-2004, 02:36 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

all right purp!!! World of difference isn't it. You have your VTEC even lower than MINE! I'm at 4400. Nice a/f. I set my cel the same way...Isn't it great to have a power curve like that? I'm only getting 15mph though, have you checked yours?

And don't ya like those new injectors? Did your tuner comment on the differences between those and the old ones?
OldBald1's got his car down here getting 457's and a comptech housing. How about meeting us on the alley one day for an SC shootout..pictures drinks and fun included naturally.

I'm glad you like it....I just ordered new lightweight rims put a little more contact patch on the ground too isn't 2nd gear an absolute riot?

fltsfshr
Old 03-28-2004, 04:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fltsfshr
all right purp!!! World of difference isn't it. You have your VTEC even lower than MINE!
Old 03-28-2004, 04:21 AM

Bigpurp,

When you did the injectors... did you change out the FMU for a FPR?

Quick Reply: My Dyno Results w/Vortech, AEM and RC 550cc's