S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My impressions: Zero camber and otherwise stock alignment settings

Old 06-14-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off let me start by sharing what I have done to the car. MUZ front lower cross brace , APC S.T.B. , four rear wheels machined inside to fit for rotation purposes with Fulda Extremo tires size 225/45. With this setup I had the usual inside wearing of the tires eased a bit by rotating and a good dose of oversteer on uneven roads. When the car was completely stock I had a slippery feeling rear end, the back end always kicked out without warning. After running this setup for over a year I was happy with the ability to rotate tires, more firmly planted feeling rear but the increased oversteer was getting too annoying lately. I decided to go get an alignment with zero camber and everything else set to spec. to help reduce the oversteer and tire wear. I did a lot of spirited driving today and the car seems fantastic so far. The oversteer problem is gone and the cornering performance feels just as good as before. I felt just as confident as before flying around a large sweeping on ramp section of interstate this morning. I should have more even wear on my tires and I don't feel at all like I have sacrificed my cornering performance in a negative way. This is my daily driver and not a weekend autocross car so I am very happy with the current alignment settings.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:48 AM

you had 2 rear wheels machined to fit in the front? what did the machine shop do?
Old 06-14-2004, 11:55 AM

you had 2 rear wheels machined to fit in the front? what did the machine shop do?
I had four rear wheels machined. The shop grinded the inside center (opposite of where the centercap is) so that all wheels would fit the front to allow for rotation. Make sense? I traded a guy my front wheels for his rears for $$$
Old 06-14-2004, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's strange. I can't imagine how REDUCING camber would give more grip to the rear during cornering. Increasing toe would have that effect, though. Was your previous alignment lacking rear toe-in?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hygiene boy
Old 06-14-2004, 01:43 PM

so you reduced tire size in the rear and then wondered why you got oversteer? and you think removing camber is going to solve your problem?

Seriously dude, if you are having this many problems driving the car, you may consider buying an RSX, or something FWD. The s2000 is a wonderful handling car, but you have to know how to drive it to get any enjoyment out of it. Machining the wheel makes it not hubcentric on the rear when you mount it, which will result in vibrations and additional strain on the lugs.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mwy23
Old 06-14-2004, 03:16 PM

ohhhhhhhhh, hubcentricity...

i guess if he went thru the effort to machine all the rears out, he could also have a plastic shop make some hubcentric rings to place into the wheels for the rears only.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:02 PM

so you reduced tire size in the rear and then wondered why you got oversteer? and you think removing camber is going to solve your problem?
I measured my tire contact patch 225 Fulda against a SO3- 245 and the difference was a couple millimeters at most. I mainly just increased my front tire size not reduce my rears significantly. I always had oversteer in this car from day one off the lot , it was more pronounced with wider front tires. And yes reducing my negative camber did in fact reduce my oversteer caused by the wider front tires.

Seriously dude, if you are having this many problems driving the car, you may consider buying an RSX, or something FWD. The s2000 is a wonderful handling car, but you have to know how to drive it to get any enjoyment out of it
I wanted to be able to rotate my tires and I love stock wheels so I have four rear wheels all with the same size tires . The wider front tires cause more oversteer and when I set the camber less negative the increased oversteer went away. I am not having problems and drive the car just fine, what does that have to do with FWD or RWD? I think my grandma would enjoy driving this car even if she never hit VTEC once.

That's strange. I can't imagine how REDUCING camber would give more grip to the rear during cornering. Increasing toe would have that effect, though. Was your previous alignment lacking rear toe-in?
I just got aligned "today" with close to zero negative camber and had the same size rear wheel and tire combo all around for well over a year now. I never said that this gave me more grip in the rear during cornering. I found the car to be tail happy when it was stock. Then I had the wider front tires done and the back end behaved more for me and was more predictable. The only downside I noticed is that got more oversteer. I did not feel the oversteer after the alignment today as I drove around for a long time aggressively testing the new handling characteristics of the car. The car did not feel any less agile or grippier than usual. It felt the same but with no oversteer. Many people on this board are using aftermarket wheel and tire combos with the same size wheels and tires all around , hub centric or lug centric without problems ( BTW, I am still hub centric all around, the wheels still have full contact on the hubs on all four corners, thanx for the concern though) . I had some oversteer , got it aligned with less negative camber and now it's gone, and my tires will probably last longer , and it still handles like a great sports car, that was the point of my post, to share my experience.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:10 PM

umm....les camber means less grip while cornering which means more oversteer, especially with equal sized tires all around.....

Quick Reply: My impressions: Zero camber and otherwise stock alignment settings