S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

At my wits end with Misfires HELP!

Old 06-02-2019, 01:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
TPS sensor can be replaced no problem. You just need to dremel a slot into them and they come right out with a flathead.
Thanks. I'm going to replace MAP today & see if there is a difference. Then replace TPS.

Do you know how to find a TPS? I've looked everywhere, even ebay, & there is nothing.

Last edited by project2k4; 06-02-2019 at 01:37 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-02-2019, 02:10 AM

Received 617 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by project2k4
Thanks. I'm going to replace MAP today & see if there is a difference. Then replace TPS.

Do you know how to find a TPS? I've looked everywhere, even ebay, & there is nothing.
https://bloxracing.com/shop/index.ph...product_id=109

https://www.balladesports.com/produc...ion-sensor-tps

Last edited by Kyle; 06-02-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Thanks man! Got the MAP & replaced by no change. My next step is to send my injectors to get untrasonic cleaning & a report, just to rule that out. Assuming no fix then TPS will be next along with a full cleaning of throttle body.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 AM

check the IACV for correct operation. if it's stuck open it is a large vacuum leak.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire

Have a listen and look at your TCT, i dont think thats your bogging issue but i was getting a random misfire that moved between cylinders, after cleaning everything it didnt go, but then i noticed a slight ticking at idle, took out the tct, roughed it up on the worm gear, cleaned the piston and its smooth as silk now.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JesseW
check the IACV for correct operation. if it's stuck open it is a large vacuum leak.
The idle is fine, better than it was before all of this started happening. Are you saying that if 's stuck open then the idle would be okay but it would cause a vacuum leak leading to other issues such as missfire?
Old 06-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Goldie1973
Have a listen and look at your TCT, i dont think thats your bogging issue but i was getting a random misfire that moved between cylinders, after cleaning everything it didnt go, but then i noticed a slight ticking at idle, took out the tct, roughed it up on the worm gear, cleaned the piston and its smooth as silk now.
By TCT you are referring to timing chain tensioner? Sorry but I didn't quite understand what you did to fix it based on your wording. What exactly did you do?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tct

Yes- timing chain tensioner, there is a thread on here on how to remove and recondition them. Its really easy, about half hour but easier if you have a sand blaster this link explains it all, my rattle was very quiet compared to whats described in this link but definately sorted it. https://www.s2ki.com/2012/02/08/diy-repairingreplacing-the-timing-chain-tensioner/

Last edited by Goldie1973; 06-09-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: More info
Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had similar issues on my '03, but not quite as bad. It really seems like a fuel system issue to me. Similar to you, I bought some reconditioned injectors off eBay and they made it way worse. Cleaned up the outside of the old ones and threw them back in and it runs better, I also did a valve adjustment and replaced the plugs with OEM Honda. The other thing I've done is stick to Shell 93 octane only, I would say the issue has essentially gone away for now. I'll be interested to hear if the ultrasonic cleaning of the injectors takes care of this issue for you as that was my plan if the problem came back.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by dmc79
I've had similar issues on my '03, but not quite as bad. It really seems like a fuel system issue to me. Similar to you, I bought some reconditioned injectors off eBay and they made it way worse. Cleaned up the outside of the old ones and threw them back in and it runs better, I also did a valve adjustment and replaced the plugs with OEM Honda. The other thing I've done is stick to Shell 93 octane only, I would say the issue has essentially gone away for now. I'll be interested to hear if the ultrasonic cleaning of the injectors takes care of this issue for you as that was my plan if the problem came back.
Yeah I really think it's the fuel system. I recently replaced the plugs & coil packs & the car ran fine with them for a while. Then all of a sudden it started with the rough idle & misfire codes but drove fine. Put the ebay injectors in, made it worse. "Cleaned" the injectors using DIY method but really how clean did I get them, if ultrasonic injector cleaning is a thing lol. That leads me to believe there is more to cleaning injectors than just spraying carb cleaner through them. $78 for all 4 injectors ultrasonically cleaned & read out of spray...at least then I will know for sure that is not the issue & can move on to the next thing. It's a bummer of an issue bc you just have to check things off the list. Thankfully it seems the eventual fix is fairly inexpensive. Unless something inside the engine is damaged god forbid.

Quick Reply: At my wits end with Misfires HELP!