S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY2002: tough shifting into 1st gear?

Old 05-14-2002, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY2002: tough shifting into 1st gear?

hi all...

i was wondering if anyone is having this problem. it is incredibly difficult for me to shift into first gear when already moving. i have about 1800 miles and this "problem" has been around since day 1. at first i thought it was just a stiff gearbox and the problem would work itself away, but after 1800 miles, its still tough.

when i'm rolling like at around 5mph and higher, it seems like i have to rip and force the tranny into first gear...makes me feel like i'm beating up the car pretty bad...if its that tough tho, i usually go into 2nd and ease myself into a faster speed.

any and all input will be greatly appreciated!!!

mike
Old 05-14-2002, 11:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do NOT force the stick into first while moving. The tranny will tell you when it doesn't want you to do this by making it difficult. This is true of all modern day trannies. A mechanic friend told me that there is a feature in the tranny associated with 1st gear (there is a technical term for it but I can't remember exactly what it is - something about a "lockout plug"). This is to prevent you from ruining your 1st gear synchro. If you must get into first while rolling, learn to double clutch AND rev match so the tranny speeds up to the road speed you are asking it to try to get in sync with. If you do not use this technique, then you must learn at what speed your tranny will allow you to engage 1st gear. This is dependant upon the temp of the tranny at the time. To figure this out, as you slow down toward 1st gear speeds (say at about 10-15 mph on a safe, clear roadway) push in your clutch and let off the gas, move the stick toward 1st gear and when you encounter the resistance, don't force it any farther but maintain firm pressure on the stick into 1st. When you have coasted down to the speed that the tranny deems "reasonable", it will allow the stick to pop into first. It almost feels like it "sucks" it in. Do this when the car is "cold" and when it is "hot". Now you know for future reference. Usually, when I know I'm coming to a complete stop, I won't engage 1st till I'm almost stopped. What you are encountering is not an unusual thing but quite normal. If you keep "ramming" it, sooner or later, it'll go into 1st alright but you'll probably have screwed up the sychro and it'll just grind.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:40 PM

this probably doesn't help but....

neither my '01 or my '02 had any issue going into first while moving. That is to say, once the tranny had warmed up. It slides easy as butter and there's no resistance (other than normal) and no grinding. The fastest that I've done this is 19mph and I commonly do it below 10mph in slow turns.

For what it's worth, both of my cars had/have "notchy" tranny's (2nd and 3rd gear especially) until the tranny was good and warm. After that, it's like a rifle bolt.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:31 PM

xviper...so does your s2000 do the same thing mine does for first gear? and you solved it by rev matching? i tried rev matching and it doesn't seem to work. and when i'm slowing down with the clutch depressed, it seems as if the only speed my tranny deems reasonable is about 1-2mph. at that speed, it just slides in...somtimes up to 5mph...but other than that...nuthin...

seems like everyone i've talked to has not had this issue with their s2000. maybe i should bring it in? i don't know...i don't want to unless absolutely necessary...i hate waiting at the dealer...and i absolutely hate the thought that i might be s2000-less...

thanks for the advice and comments guys...
Old 05-15-2002, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mwy23
[B]hi all...

i was wondering if anyone is having this problem.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mwy23
[B]xviper...so does your s2000 do the same thing mine does for first gear?
Old 05-15-2002, 05:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper RSXTypeR - "I also feel a clunk when I go to 2nd or 3rd sometimes...why?"
Old 05-15-2002, 06:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RSXTypeR
[B]
Thanks!
Old 05-16-2002, 03:41 AM

my 2nd and 3rd gear is notchy too....especially 3rd gear. 3rd feels like it has TWO positions (above neutral....ex, in 2nd, when i switch to 3rd, i feel it go to neutral, then two more bumpy feels till i get to 3rd). 2nd is like that too, but not as bad. what do you guys think?

all i can say is that EVERY car write up i've read said the s2000 shifted like "butter" and the '02 was supposed to be even BETTER! i have an '02 and i can say my civic probably shifted more like butter than my S. help me!!!

(thanks all)
Old 05-16-2002, 04:17 AM

I had the same problem with my Prelude and I assumed this was some sort of safety measure Honda came up with on its own (or does any other manufacturer do the same thing?...I've only driven Honda manual shifts). So I didn't force it. And guess what?...my S2000 does the same thing...just doesn't seem to like downshifting to 1st at ANY speed period. Now at least I know I'm not the only one .

Quick Reply: MY2002: tough shifting into 1st gear?