S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need advice on removing covers from rollhoops

Old 01-02-2003, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on removing covers from rollhoops

I need to remove plastics in rollhoops to have them cut out and to drill holes for a mounting points towards the inner parts of the hoops in order to create mounting points for my 4-point harnesses. I will be using the stock shoulder belt mounting point but I need to create one on the opposite end. Problem is that I am having a hard time getting the plastic covers off of the hoops(without breaking them). All pannels around them as far as I can see were loosened or removed. Am I missing something here? Are they perhaps glued or sealed together(front half and rear half)? If anyone has removed these or knows how to do it please help me out.

Thanks,
Manny
Old 01-02-2003, 11:40 AM

I have removed mine and I can remember my consternation as well about pulling those things apart. Basically it takes a fair amount of tugging force to pry the units apart; there are no bolts or screws to loosen. Make sure all steps have been completed up to that point, which sounds like you have done.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

If you do take off the covers, don't expect to get them back on. They are considered "part of the roll hoop" and not sold separate from the roll hoops. They are not meant to be removed with out taking the roll hoops themselves out. When the S was first delivered to dealers, Honda sent a message that the covers can't be removed without destroying them. I think It is also in the service manual and the PDI bulletin.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slows2k
[B]If you do take off the covers, don't expect to get them back on. They are considered "part of the roll hoop" and not sold separate from the roll hoops. They are not meant to be removed with out taking the roll hoops themselves out.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:21 PM

Well my circustances require me to operate on these damn covers. Seatbelt retractors and the upper belt cost over $500 for the pair at the dealer--used is next to impossible for obvious reasons(tend to lock up if the car is hit hard enough). 2 sets of 4-points was only about $115 delivered. Looks like i'm going to have to do some careful prying to gain access to the inner sides of these hoops to drill for the mounting bolts. Unless someone has some other suggestion about how to go about this.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Me thinks this sounds like a bad idea. Its likely the roll hoops were engineered for vertical load, not horizontal (specifically forward). Not that I am a mechanical engineer... Still, I wouldn't want to be in your car after a frontal impact. Check that, DURING a frontal impact.

It would probably go down like this:
Old 01-02-2003, 07:20 PM

The factory belt is already bolted into the hoop on one side. You think it would be a bad idea to use the stock mounting point for one belt on the haness and then create the same mounting point on the opposite end to mount the other belt? Logically I don't see why would occur. Any more input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Manny
Old 01-03-2003, 04:10 AM

I have 5 point harnesses in my car and would be willing to part with the stock belts / retractors. Make me an offer...
-BS2KT
Old 01-03-2003, 04:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manny, just buy Larry's save yourself a whole heap of trouble.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:41 AM

Not to mention I'll be in NY (long island) later this month and you won't have any shipping charges. (they are heavy... about 5 lbs a piece).
-BS2KT

Quick Reply: Need advice on removing covers from rollhoops