Need help getting air out of the brake system - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Under The Hood
Reload this Page >

Need help getting air out of the brake system

Notices
S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help getting air out of the brake system

Old 10-10-2018, 12:18 PM
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Holeshot121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 183
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Need help getting air out of the brake system

I installed Stoptech brake lines and let the brake fluid drain out. Now I'm dealing with the consequences.

I have tried following RobRob's guide to bleeding the master cylinder - I tried at the MC itself and at the ABS output ports. I've tried gravity bleeding multiple times for a LONG time at each corner. I've tried the old fashioned 2 person bleeding method, running a ton of fluid through each corner. I'm not getting ANY air out during these attempts, but I can't get pedal pressure back. What is the next step?
Holeshot121 is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 02:10 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 345
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Holeshot121 View Post
I installed Stoptech brake lines and let the brake fluid drain out. Now I'm dealing with the consequences.

I have tried following RobRob's guide to bleeding the master cylinder - I tried at the MC itself and at the ABS output ports. I've tried gravity bleeding multiple times for a LONG time at each corner. I've tried the old fashioned 2 person bleeding method, running a ton of fluid through each corner. I'm not getting ANY air out during these attempts, but I can't get pedal pressure back. What is the next step?
Did you treat it like you are priming a new master cylinder?
Disconnect the two lines coming out the side of the master, hook up bleed hoses to these ports, feed them back into the reservoir, and go pump, once the master is primed, hook the hardlines back up then gravity bleed in order.
Deckoz is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 06:05 PM
  #3  
Thread Starter
 
Holeshot121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 183
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Deckoz View Post
Did you treat it like you are priming a new master cylinder?
Disconnect the two lines coming out the side of the master, hook up bleed hoses to these ports, feed them back into the reservoir, and go pump, once the master is primed, hook the hardlines back up then gravity bleed in order.
Are the two ports on the MC totally independent from each other? I used the MC bleed kit to bleed each port back to the res individually, but I have been questioning if I had to do them both at the same time. My kit only came with one fitting the right size, so I will get another kit or fitting if they have to be done simultaneously.
Holeshot121 is offline  
Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 345
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Yeah you have too do both
Deckoz is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Foothills East of Sacramento
Posts: 2,604
Thanked 48 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I wish I could find the Billman method for solving this. As I recall you depress the brake pedal and keep it there by bracing the pedal with wood pieces or other objects on the front seat, overnight.
cosmomiller is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 07:54 AM
  #6  
 
ISADE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 228
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cosmomiller View Post
I wish I could find the Billman method for solving this. As I recall you depress the brake pedal and keep it there by bracing the pedal with wood pieces or other objects on the front seat, overnight.
Yes have you tried this yet? After you leave the brake pedal depressed overnight, take the car for a drive and engage ABS a bunch of times, at least 5. You will feel the pedal change. I've had to do this on the S2000 and my TSX and when you first engage ABS you will skid tires because the ABS won't be engaging right away but it will start to engage and that's when you know you're getting the air out. Then you will have to bleed again.
ISADE is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 AM
  #7  
Thread Starter
 
Holeshot121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 183
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I actually just found that post about wedging the brake pedal today while searching and plan to try it tonight.

I can't engage ABS though. I'm having ongoing issues with that also. The ABS light is on, but there aren't any codes. Scanner says no communication. I tried replacing the module, but that didn't fix it. I might have a broken wire or something but haven't had time to diagnose that any further yet.
Holeshot121 is offline  
Old 10-11-2018, 01:09 PM
  #8  
 
HarryD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,001
Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ISADE View Post
Yes have you tried this yet? After you leave the brake pedal depressed overnight, take the car for a drive and engage ABS a bunch of times, at least 5. You will feel the pedal change. I've had to do this on the S2000 and my TSX and when you first engage ABS you will skid tires because the ABS won't be engaging right away but it will start to engage and that's when you know you're getting the air out. Then you will have to bleed again.
I have tried the Billman method and have not experienced these issues you're saying -- out of the many years that people have been trying it, this is the first I've heard of it causing "ABS" issues -- that doesn't even make sense to me. But rock on.
HarryD is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 02:48 AM
  #9  
 
ISADE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 228
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
I have tried the Billman method and have not experienced these issues you're saying -- out of the many years that people have been trying it, this is the first I've heard of it causing "ABS" issues -- that doesn't even make sense to me. But rock on.
I never said it caused ABS issues haha, his method did exactly as it was supposed to. Read again and rock on harder.
ISADE is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:58 PM
  #10  
Thread Starter
 
Holeshot121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 183
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

So wedging the brake pedal didn't do anything for me. I looked at the fluid I drained out during bleeding and saw some black specs. I picked out one relatively large piece and it felt like rubber. Starting to think I got the air out but damaged the MC during bleeding. Probably getting pieces of a seal in the fluid.
Holeshot121 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands