S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help please

Old 04-23-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

Here we go with another issue. Would anyone know why my car shakes really bad once I'm driving for like after 10 minutes. When I stop or pull to a red light the cars fine. Only once I start driving does the rumble or shaking begin in the front. The other day under the fender where the driver side tire is, there was smoke coming from it but it went away after I kept driving. And there is a unique smell. I have no idea what it could be. Because I see no signs of leakage from anywhere.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Hard to tell. If you can give us more details we might be able to narrow down the options. Some possibilities include a missing wheel weight (wheel out of balance), a broken radial belt in your wheel, wheels out of alignment, bad shocks, a bad ball joint or tie rod end.

If it's happening just when you're braking then it's your rotors. Check your fender liner and make sure it's secure.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Smoke would make me think either the rotor has something dragging against it and/or the hub bearing is failing. If the bearing internals are wearing out it could vibrate really badly.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 PM

I somewhat agree with the above posters. I had something similar happen in my other car. Apparently, my front-right caliper piston was sticking. And since the rotors were warped, that sticking caliper piston led to my car and steering wheel shaking violently at speed (as if I were braking hard). Sometimes it disappeared, sometimes it got pretty bad. I guess it depended on how bad the caliper piston was sticking, which would vary for presumably a wide range of reasons. When I arrived at my destination, I could smell a very burnt/frictiony smell coming from the front right wheel (but not quite smoke), as well as major heat coming off of it, compared to the other three wheels.

I don't think you mentioned shaking while braking or through your steering wheel, though, so it might be something else., but just something to think about, I guess.

And it's something you can test pretty easily by jacking up the front end and trying to spin each wheel by hand.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by lqh2552
I somewhat agree with the above posters. I had something similar happen in my other car. Apparently, my front-right caliper piston was sticking. And since the rotors were warped, that sticking caliper piston led to my car and steering wheel shaking violently at speed (as if I were braking hard). Sometimes it disappeared, sometimes it got pretty bad. I guess it depended on how bad the caliper piston was sticking, which would vary for presumably a wide range of reasons. When I arrived at my destination, I could smell a very burnt/frictiony smell coming from the front right wheel (but not quite smoke), as well as major heat coming off of it, compared to the other three wheels.

I don't think you mentioned shaking while braking or through your steering wheel, though, so it might be something else., but just something to think about, I guess.

And it's something you can test pretty easily by jacking up the front end and trying to spin each wheel by hand.
You just described everything that is wrong with my car! Yes the steering wheel does shake and it does feel as if I'm braking really hard! So I guess it's my caliper?!?! I'll have to check it out.

I really just want to say thanks for everyone trying to help out. Really appreciate it all. New to having a S2k and it's good to see the community here is a lot friendlier.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Elijahmurphy91
Originally Posted by lqh2552' timestamp='1429844037' post='23589401

You just described everything that is wrong with my car! Yes the steering wheel does shake and it does feel as if I'm braking really hard! So I guess it's my caliper?!?! I'll have to check it out.

I really just want to say thanks for everyone trying to help out. Really appreciate it all. New to having a S2k and it's good to see the community here is a lot friendlier.
Yep, this community is great from what I've seen so far. Yeah, the caliper piston might be stuck in the out position, essentially braking that wheel all the time. You should try to spin your front left tire by hand and see if it even spins. Or try to push your car when in neutral and the parking brake off. When I tried that with my car, it wouldn't budge at all because of that one caliper always squeezing the brake rotor. Oh, and have you also noticed your gas mileage is slightly lower than before?