S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help.. Something I am "trying" on my car.

Old 07-14-2001, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help.. Something I am "trying" on my car.

Ok, I have always wanted brake ducting. So I have decided to build my own. What I am doing different is each of the faux vents will have 2 3" pipes in it.

One pipe will go back thru the fender to the brakes for cooling.

The other will go thru the plastic wall in front of the radiator and then up to the "air guide" (the black piece of plastic in front of the radiator w/ the diagonal slots in it)

My delima(sp) is. Should I cut two 3" holes in the air guide for this cold air, or just point the ducts up towards the air guide and figure for what ever reason, Honda had a good one for putting that wierd air guide with those slots there.

Do I make sense?

What do you think I should do?
Old 07-15-2001, 07:09 AM
tpn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought about the same thing. Except I have built a CAI from scratch and insulated the air-box and intake tube to TB. This Texas heat is hard on the performance in the afternoon. These steps have improved things back to normal.

What I was thinking was to push air to brakes and to engine compartment behind the radiator. Wanted to direct it toward the air-box area to cool off the extra heat generated around it. I have noticed that the insulation blanket gets very hot, but the inside of the box is much cooler to the touch. So cooling off the outside area would be even more benificial.

You might shoot air from the RH side to become the CAI and use the LH side to cool the airbox area to kill two birds with one stone but I highly recomend insulating the box and line to TB
Old 07-15-2001, 08:51 AM
Administrator

For the time being I am leaving the air box alone.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:18 AM

When we were testing the S2000 for radiator and Air cleaner Temps a solution we thought would be to take the black airbox out. However we soon realized that taking it out only increased the temperature of both the radiator and air cleaner by almost 5 degrees. In my opinion this airbox was made by Honda to work in its own special way, so I would leave it alone.

David McCune Jr.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:27 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by axcilla
[B]When we were testing the S2000 for radiator and Air cleaner Temps a solution we thought would be to take the black airbox out.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
[B]

I am not talking about removing it, but cutting 2 holes in to connect the duct from the front edge/faux ducts.

It is somewhat simalar to what your company is selling, but you stop your duct right at the wall next to the raidator.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:24 AM

Connecting the Duct to the air guide actually should work out great as an air induction system. And even if you don't want to connect it, you could stream the air directly into the air guide as you have previously stated. These seem like great ideas, the only question is do you want to cut into the air guide or leave it alone. Honda made the black air guide in a special shape, and as I have said before, the box was made by Honda to work in its own special way. Thats why I would not cut holes into it.
This is a great idea you have come up with to use the side vents for cooling the brakes, and intake.

Congrarts, krazik

David McCune Jr.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Xviper. No... Maybe this will help explain my idea.

I would do the same thing on both sides.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:52 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by axcilla
[B]the only question is do you want to cut into the air guide or leave it alone.
Old 07-15-2001, 11:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO you are putting a lot of effort in for marginal returns.. the airbox gets adequate flow from the front of the car and I think we have good data that shows sealing off the heat from the top of the radiator addresses most of the heated intake problem.

I installed functional brake ducts (useful on tight courses, but not imperative on most tracks), so I am familiar with the project. I do not believe there is room to deal with two 3

Quick Reply: Need help.. Something I am "trying" on my car.