S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need new shocks, OEM, Koni, or ??

Old 08-09-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new shocks, OEM, Koni, or ??

My 2005 has 105,00 and is my daily. Driver's rear shock is leaking a bit of oil and gas. Should I get OEM replacements, or something else? I will likely never track the car and was real happy with the way OEM shocks drove. It seems like the Koni street ones are cheaper than OEM, but I don't want to get something that feels a lot different. Thanks
Old 08-09-2017, 08:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Baril
My 2005 has 105,00 and is my daily. Driver's rear shock is leaking a bit of oil and gas. Should I get OEM replacements, or something else? I will likely never track the car and was real happy with the way OEM shocks drove. It seems like the Koni street ones are cheaper than OEM, but I don't want to get something that feels a lot different. Thanks
If you want a set of used struts the shocks only.I have a set I will send you if you will pay the shipping cost. They have approximately 60k on them off an 04. Would like to get rid of the set of four and not just one. just let me know.
The following users liked this post:
Christian Baril (08-11-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

You can find used struts/shocks like the previous guy mentioned for real cheap -- can run $100-300 for a set of 4 in my experience -- as most people "upgrade" to track ones.

Unpopular opinion: most people don't actually "upgrade" to superior suspensions, they just think they do (swag y'all), as most neither care nor understand suspension geometry (or how lowering, tire sizes, shock rebound, and spring rates all work together). The OEM suspension is actually really damn good, and overkill if all you do is daily drive it to work.

I had one blown shock on mine and swapped out with a car that had 25k-ish miles on them, refreshing all 4 of my old 100k mile struts at once.

Keep in mind shocks/springs had different part numbers, so if you go used OEM, you'll want to make sure the suspension is the same (don't put AP1 on your AP2, don't put the wrong AP2 on your 2005, etc.):
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...prings-818884/
The following users liked this post:
Christian Baril (08-11-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Actually mix n' match from different years can be useful if you don't need more performance than stock, but you want to shift the understeer/oversteer balance or change the overall stiffness.

I have a spreadsheet calculator based on something originally built by chrispayze, that combines the spring and ARB rates data from TwoHoos, with the Motion Ratios measured by SakeBomb Garage. You plug in your spring and ARB rates, and it shows you your overall f/r balance. Say you want more stability, more CR like balance. Which stock springs from other years would get you there? Obviously you don't want to deviate too far from stock for your shocks, but that still leaves lots of room.

On my '06 I'm running stock low mileage '04 shocks, with the '04 rear springs moved to the front, and a set of '02 rear springs in the rear. This along with a CR front ARB, and a '00 rear ARB. This increased my wheel rates by 16%f & 21%r, and shifted my overall balance to almost exactly what a stock '04 would have. My S04 tires are stickier than the original RE050, hence the reason I wanted more spring rate. I wanted to shift balance as I feel my stock '06 has too much understeer.

PM me your email address if you want a copy of the spreadsheet calculator.

As for Koni, yes, they will change the feel of the car from stock, as they have less compression damping, more (and adjustable) rebound damping. Koni on stock springs is not such a great combo. Too much dive on braking with the lower compression damping. But koni on CR springs is actually quite good, as the higher CR spring rates compensate well here.

The problem with buying new oem Honda shocks is when they wear out, you have to buy new ones. Koni, and Bilstein, offer lifetime warranties. The Bilstein PSS is a good street setup, with balance similar to CR (but even more front/understeer bias than even CR). If you like the PSS, but want less understeer, the H&R coilovers could be for you. Its an actual Bilstein shock, with H&R springs with less understeer. A progressive ~340 in/lb spring fitted both f & r. Still have lifetime warranty.

So my recommendation for street and wanting to keep stock feel is either buy low mileage used oem, or buy koni with CR (or Ground Control Koni with your choice of spring rate) or Bilstein PSS.

Oh, and this thread belongs in Brakes and Suspension subforum. Hopefully a mod can move it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Car Analogy:
Christian Baril (08-11-2017), HarryD (08-14-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

for the price, you won't be disappointed with the Koni's.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528
for the price, you won't be disappointed with the Koni's.
Only downside is that you have to drill out the stock top hat bushings from 10 to 12mm, and the metal dust shields as well, which means you'll need to buy new ones if you plan on going back to stock shocks. You need 8 top hat bushings, that said, the Koni shocks ride very well, a little floaty due to lower compression damping, but are re-valvable and re-buildable, and don't perform any worse than stock when pushed hard, not to mention they're safe to use with lowering springs, or spring rates up to 500lb/in which is 120lb/in more than the stiffest CR springs.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Konis have flaws but offer more performance potential over the stock shocks. I would recommend spring rates no lower than 500lbs. Even on the street those rates can still ride very well. The extra spring helps with the relatively soft comp damping. It's a simple twin tube that can work very well.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

^OP wants to buy Koni STRT's. Not yellows.

OP:
I'd rather replace them with a new set of stock shocks, or buy a Bilstein PSS system if you don't mind being a tiny bit lower than stock.

Or buy Koni Yellows and dial the damper valve down for stock springs.

STRT's or Yellows aren't bad. They likely won't feel as "crisp" as the stock monotubes or the Bilsteins.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

For your perplexed I would just buy some used oem shocks and springs. They cost next to nothing and will solve your problem.

i persionally run the koni yellows and the softest setting with ground control coilovers with the standard off the self springs and the car rides as good as stock. I only have it lowered about 1/2 inch.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Oem + get Geometry re-adjusted,
or
High end coilovers and "" ""

Quick Reply: Need new shocks, OEM, Koni, or ??