S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is this new device real or junk?

Old 04-08-2003, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this new device real or junk?

Anyone hear anything about this new intake system? Think it may work or is it just junk?

http://www.unitednuclear.com/o3.htm
Old 04-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds cooky to me.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as with the electric turbocharger, the theory is sound, but the implementation is flawed. Yes, ozone contains contains more oxygen atoms, but for standard air pressure you can't fit as many into the same volume of space (higher negative charge makes them repel each other...someone please confirm this, chem class has been awhile). Also, the amount of ozone created is VERY minor. I've built so many Tesla coils and Jacob's Ladders to know even with 150-200 kV, ozone isn't produced THAT quickly. What an absolutely obsurd claim to gain 22-28% hp
Old 04-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The thing that seems suspicious to me is that the ozone generator is not going to CREATE oxygen. It will just convert 3 units of O2 into 2 units of O3.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Banned

Well, last I checked, the whole reason Nitrous Oxide is used is because the Nitrogen atom helps stablize the combustion process.

So how would making it unstable be a good thing?

Plus its the same amount of oxygen.

Blake
Old 04-08-2003, 06:54 PM

Haha!

Spray some compressed O2 near the intake of your car, watch what happens...
Old 04-08-2003, 07:13 PM

NO2 is used because of its high O2 content, not because of the Nitrogen...the buffering action of the N is just a nice side-effect. Using O3 instead of NO2 doesn't necessarily make it unstable, but it would have ot be done in the correct manner. The O3 would have to be created OUTSIDE of the filter for one thing, since there's no point in turning the fixed volume of air already inside the intake from O2 to O3...no change in oxygen content. Also, to make enough O3, the spark would have to be ultrahot (i.e., plasma) or have MANY sparks (i.e., something the size of the car itself). I think you can guess what kind of current requirements we're talking about here.

But, is we assume all of that is possible, then we're at a net benefit since two O3 molecules consumes less space (on average) than three O2 molecules...same O atoms, denser mixture.

Good idea, bad technology.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Banned

MacGyver, I know that about NOS. I'm just saying, that is one reason why no other oxygen compound is used.

The website itself claims that O3 is more unstable and that creates more power. But I would assume that even though that might be true, there's a reason the buffering of the nitrogen is said to be a good thing.

Ok, so is it possible to have a bottle of O3?

Blake
Old 04-09-2003, 07:43 AM

I would hedge a bet that the odds of a 25% power increase coming from that product are about on par with our other favorite mod, otherwise known as the:
Old 04-09-2003, 08:00 AM

Good one, Russ

Blake, ahhhh, I got your instability questions now. As I mentioned, the Nitrogen in NO2 buffers the reaction, but the mentioned instability in O3 is not in the REACTION with it, it's in the molecule itself...O3 isn't very stable and wants to break down with another O3 molecule to create three O2 molecules. The combustion process will still work out fine.

As far as bottles of O3, I don't think you'll see too many of those. At atmospheric pressures, O3 exists, but crank the pressure up (nitrous bottles push close to 1000 psi, right?) and the unstable O3 molecules start combining back into the more stable O2 molecules. I think we all know what would happen if we sprayed pure O2 into our engines

Quick Reply: Is this new device real or junk?