S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New engine failure

Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

I guess all has been well with OP.

So surprising that Honda sold a brand new junk S2000 engine. baffles my mind.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello!
I am very sory for not answering fro sooo long. The engine i got from Honda as a replacement for their bad one, had the same problem as last on. Now it lastet 10.000 km and it shreaded its bottom end. It happened 2 months ago. Now i am waitng for my mechanic to disassemble it. Sadly Honda has refused to look into it because my 12month waranty for a "replacement" part has expired. Now my only option is to take out the engine, disassemble it and look for an issu that caused this.

@Billman250 my engine was primed this way. Spark plugs out, fuel disconected and then crancked for about 15 to 20sec and repeat. Oil light has turned off. And then everything was connected and started. And one more thing. A mechanic from honda told me that there is a special tool to prime this engine and nsx engine. That you have to use this pressure tool and start it with this tool. That what we did was wrong and we damaged the engine by cranking it the way we did. Honda manual does not say anything about using it and he said honda will refuse to give me a new one becaues of this. I said to him this still doesnt explain corosion on the bearings :/. Oil analysis was ok no water no colant no fuel in it ......bearings just blew off their material all of a sudden.

Again i apologise for my spelling mistakes, im trying my best.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:35 AM

Received 1,238 Likes on 757 Posts

YOU SIR have primed the engine properly. To a T I might add.

There is no special prime tool for this engine.

They are fabricating a story to find a way out.

I have installed near 20 oem short blocks, and primed them exactly as you described.
The following users liked this post:
Live Fast (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by klemen123
Hello!
I am very sory for not answering fro sooo long. The engine i got from Honda as a replacement for their bad one, had the same problem as last on. Now it lastet 10.000 km and it shreaded its bottom end. It happened 2 months ago. Now i am waitng for my mechanic to disassemble it. Sadly Honda has refused to look into it because my 12month waranty for a "replacement" part has expired. Now my only option is to take out the engine, disassemble it and look for an issu that caused this.

@Billman250 my engine was primed this way. Spark plugs out, fuel disconected and then crancked for about 15 to 20sec and repeat. Oil light has turned off. And then everything was connected and started. And one more thing. A mechanic from honda told me that there is a special tool to prime this engine and nsx engine. That you have to use this pressure tool and start it with this tool. That what we did was wrong and we damaged the engine by cranking it the way we did. Honda manual does not say anything about using it and he said honda will refuse to give me a new one becaues of this. I said to him this still doesnt explain corosion on the bearings :/. Oil analysis was ok no water no colant no fuel in it ......bearings just blew off their material all of a sudden.

Again i apologise for my spelling mistakes, im trying my best.
W. T. F. ???
Old 12-17-2019, 02:21 PM

this is the third engine that has failed in this manner in your car

i'm beginning to suspect some sort of vibration that is causing your crank to destroy the bearings.

your very first engine, you had mentioned transmission problems, perhaps that is the underlying culprit somehow?

maybe if your crank pulley?
The following users liked this post:
clio (12-18-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
this is the third engine that has failed in this manner in your car

i'm beginning to suspect some sort of vibration that is causing your crank to destroy the bearings.

your very first engine, you had mentioned transmission problems, perhaps that is the underlying culprit somehow?

maybe if your crank pulley?
We suspected these things first. But after checking the transmission clearances and making sure nothing is bent we ruled out the transmission. And also if it was that bad i probably should notice it during driving? And pulley comes new assembled.

Still waiting for teardown and il update you guys with photos and oil reports. If i get a new engine and this one had the same issue as the last (bearing oxidation) we will immediately replace them with new ones before the engine goes in no matter what. I dont trust those engines anymore
Old 12-27-2019, 03:31 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Very weird. Have other folks used these motors in the recent past? Is there any explanation for this?
Old 12-27-2019, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Very weird. Have other folks used these motors in the recent past? Is there any explanation for this?
explanation for last engine failure was simply bearings were rusted from inside and the material just flew off. Oil analysis was normal...no collant and no fuel was mixed with the oil.

Im very curious if this one has the same problem. If so there must be more of these bad engines in the storage
Old 12-27-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is really crazy!2 same reason destroyed new oem shortblocks??Man i am a bit worried now.I got a new shortblock stored for backup and from what i'm reading here it might be a failure....Mine is a 10002-PCX-E10(part number on the box).Yours Klemen123.And you are located in Europe somewhere i think,right?
Old 12-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just saw it.It's the same partnumber!!!Wow,seems we have a problem here.Have you heard of anything similar probs with the same new oem Honda part?Man,i feel your dissapointment 100%.Really sorry about this

Quick Reply: New engine failure