S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No fuel pressure, no run

Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts
Default No fuel pressure, no run

Hey guys. So I'm a bit at a loss and what the next step is here, I hate troubleshooting wiring/electrical issues as this is not my stronger point, so hoping for some feedback that maybe I haven't considered yet.

Background that led up to issue; I killed my battery, put the car on a low 2amp trickle charger for a couple hours, got impatient and wanted to get the car running, so I jumped it with my other vehicle and let the car run for a few mins (2-3) with the trickle charger still attached to battery and didn't think too much of it, I was seeing 13.9v during this time. After those couple min the engine just died all the sudden and wouldn't fire back up with full cranking. I was trying to figure out if this was a spark or fuel issue, and looks to be no fuel. I'm not hearing the fuel pump prime anymore with ignition turn on and ive got no pressure reading at the rail so that's confirmed. I looked in cab and under hood and did not see any blown fuses which is what I was hoping for. With my limited knowledge I grabbed my volt meter and tested the fuel pump plug connector with ignition off to verify no voltage reading, and then with ignition on and I saw just a couple 2-4volts, so what's 'the deal? Is this a random coincidence or did I fry harness or something? And what should I be looking for/testing next? Is there a hidden fuse somewhere that runs this ignition wire to fuel pump I hope? Thanks guys for any ideas. Ive got an sos fuel pump rewire kit on hand I have been meaning to install anyway, would this bypass the potential problem or just add to confusion, making more difficult to troubleshoot if it doesn't work?
Old 07-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

First make sure the fuse is really ok, but it sounds like your main relay might been damaged though.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Community Organizer

Hey thanks for diagram and feedback. So if I'm looking to try out a new main relay for troubleshooting, is this depicted somewhere on fuse block like the fuses are and in which location? -under dash fuse block or engine compartment?) Also ive never had to replace a relay on this car, are they available at a typical parts store or do I need to go through a dealership? Not sure if they are fairly universal part or specific/special order. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

It's a pretty big thing up around the steering column, not very easy to access.

See if you can get it out and maybe open it up and check for burn marks or bad connections.
Never removed mine so not sure if this is possible.
It's a specific part for the S2000, I don't think you can find a new one at generic part stores.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you sure the battery survived the drain and improper recharge? coulda shorted the battery out.

also, check the green immobilizer icon in the cluster....if that went outta wack it wont send the signal for fuel.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by MSTSH80
you sure the battery survived the drain and improper recharge? coulda shorted the battery out.

also, check the green immobilizer icon in the cluster....if that went outta wack it wont send the signal for fuel.
no batt issues, everything turns on and operates in car. No cel. No immobilizer icon flashing. Engine just wont fire. Fuel pump not turning on. Just randomly cut power to pump wile car at idle.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by flanders
It's a pretty big thing up around the steering column, not very easy to access.

See if you can get it out and maybe open it up and check for burn marks or bad connections.
Never removed mine so not sure if this is possible.
It's a specific part for the S2000, I don't think you can find a new one at generic part stores.
Thank you! will take a look
Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Community Organizer

I managed to pull the plug portion part out and inspect the pins, didn't see anything burnt, looked totally normal. A friend suggested i listen for the relay to click when I turn the ignition on, but honestly after numerous times, I couldn't distinguish well enough between the sound of the ignition key tumbler click in each acc position to try and hear a slight relay click. I thought I was able to hear, but couldn't tell if that was coming from the main relay in question or some other in the vicinity, if it was even an authentic relay click i was hearing.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Check to see if you are getting 12VDC (see diagram):

1.) Wire #7 going to PGI-FI relay. Always hot.

2.) Wire #5. Switched.

3.) Wire #2. Hot only when starting.

If good, check corresponding wires coming out of relay.

4.) Pin 4 & 6, hot when relay on.

5.) Pin 1 while starting.

Check Fuel pump at wire #5 (yellow/green) for 12VDC when ignition on (switched).

Check continuity from fuel pump #4 (black) to chassis ground.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by windhund116
Check to see if you are getting 12VDC (see diagram):

1.) Wire #7 going to PGI-FI relay. Always hot.

2.) Wire #5. Switched.

3.) Wire #2. Hot only when starting.

If good, check corresponding wires coming out of relay.

4.) Pin 4 & 6, hot when relay on.

5.) Pin 1 while starting.

Check Fuel pump at wire #5 (yellow/green) for 12VDC when ignition on (switched).

Check continuity from fuel pump #4 (black) to chassis ground.

Good luck!
Thanks for the step breakdown, really appreciate it

I'm going to see if I can grab some help from a friend with more electrical experience to help me run through the process here and will report back what is come up with.

Quick Reply: No fuel pressure, no run