S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No vtec redline at 7k??

Old 03-07-2019, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No vtec redline at 7k??

I have been driving my S2000 the past month with no issues until today. I have been having low idle issues and stalling when driving every once in a while. I thought because i reset the Ecu, but i went ahead and unbolted the IAcv to clean it but i couldn't get the t20 torx bolt loose because it looks like the previous owner stripped the bolts. I put it back on and went on with my day. I went to floor it today and there was no vtec and couldnt rev past 7k. Car is warmed up and at 3 bars, i checked my oil and it was good, I recently just bought all new vtec solenoid gaskets and installed them last week. could it be bad map sensor or something?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Was it some kind of hard rev limiter at 7k or did it just feel like the engine choked up and couldn't rev out more?
If the last one is correct you probably forgot or didn't plug in the VTEC solenoid connector correctly.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM

So i have been posting previously on this forum on my build on my s2000. I bought this car with a semi blown motor so i rebuilt it with the parts that were messed up. I think my thrust bearings are done for. I just took off the vtec solenoid and saw metal pieces in the screen.. there is no knocking or ticking in the motor. what are my options now? could it be debris from the previous build ?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd pull the oil pan, see if there is any more debris. If there hardly is anything there, you may be just fine. If there is a substantial amount, check the bearings. Better catch it as early as possible if your bearings are going out.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:59 AM

I think it is the thrust bearing because i just put on a new screen and seal last week and was clean. Billman even told me my bottom end wouldnt last if i rebuilt just my head and left the block alone. I bought the car with the cams all grinded up and from my guess think the front allen bolt came loose and caused chaos in the head. I got a new head rebuilt it, put a new oil pump, timing chain, and all that and the car ran fine for the past 2 weeks. Had vtec could rev it to 9k no cel.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I developed the same problem on my 06 after a shitty tune and after disassembly found I spun a main bearing. Turns out the no vtec was from low oil pressure being caused by the bearing. I would do an oil pressure test and i wouldn't be surprised if you found low readings
Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM

So I just changed the oil and cleaned the vtec solenoid switched the cheap WIX to an oem PCX filter and have vtec again and was able to rev to 9k. But The oil had a metal sheen to it when I drained it and didn't look normal. The magnetic drain plug had a lot of silver oil sludge on it. So the previous head had oil starvation and grinded the cams down n metal shavings everywhere. Could it be from the previous malfunction? I changed the oil once after the build and was right after I got the car running to clean all the old oil in the block. Also when driving now im losing clutch pressure randomly I just changes the fluid by vacuuming out the old n adding new. I am not losing fluid. Could this be thrust bearing going bad?
Old 03-07-2019, 05:46 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Sounds like clutch system may need re-bleeding. I don't think losing clutch pressure is a sign of thrust bearing problems. Have you measured the static crank end-play?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Sounds like clutch system may need re-bleeding. I don't think losing clutch pressure is a sign of thrust bearing problems. Have you measured the static crank end-play?
I just gravity bled the clutch and still getting inconsistent clutch pressure. It seems to lose pressure when I am deacelerating and goes almost to the floor with no room for engagement. I have no leaks. Also loses pressure coming to a stop but get pressure back instantly. Bad slave cylinder?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:29 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Have you checked the crankshaft end play?

Quick Reply: No vtec redline at 7k??