S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil cap smells gassy... is this normal?

Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cap smells gassy... is this normal?

I've owned my S for nearly 2 years & I don't ever recall my oil cap smelling like gas. I know gas gets into the crankcase--& this is normal--but I'm not sure it should be this potent... I doubt I have a leaky injector, although I haven't checked. I'm not throwing a CEL, & everything feels fine. I do drive pretty aggressively. I installed new plugs a few months ago, & they came pre-gapped (NGK Iridium FTW).

I recently did an oil change & drove for a few hundred miles, & the smell is still there, so I doubt it was my previous oil-- & my oil level is steady & isn't rising.

Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I will doing some routine maintenance soon (valve adjustment, compression test, etc.). Anything I should check while I'm in there?

Last edited by F-U-B-A-R; 01-06-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

It's not unusual, all used motor oil I have smelled has some relation to gasoline odours, Blow-by vapours in the crankcase are primarily unburned fuel and oil, so no surprise. But send in a used oil sample for peace of mind just to be sure.

On one of my oil change intervals on the S2000 I had fuel dilution in the motor oil at approx. 2%. I ended up changing the injectors as I had a spare set sitting around at the time, and the fuel dilution numbers never returned. I figure that I had a leaky injector, though I didn't have any symptoms or CELs. I have not had fuel dilution since that time so the injector swap worked. I send in a used oil sample once per year for peace of mind, I also run one bottle of Red Line fuel cleaner per year which is enough to treat two of our small fuel tanks. Fuel dilution can do some damage if it gets too high , so worth checking.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 01-06-2017 at 12:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F-U-B-A-R (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
All used motor oil I have smelled has some relation to gasoline odours, Blow-by vapours in the crankcase are primarily unburned fuel and oil, so no surprise.

You should send out a used oil sample if you have time, it is well worth doing from time to time. On one of my oil change intervals on the S2000 I had fuel dilution in the motor oil of 2%. I ended up changing the injectors as I had a spare set sitting around and the fuel dilution numbers dropped immediately. I figure that I had a leaky injector, though I didn't have any symptoms or CELs. I have not had fuel dilution since that time so the injector swap worked. I send in a used oil sample once per year for peace of mind, I also run one bottle of Red Line fuel cleaner per year which is enough to treat two of our small fuel tanks.
Good idea, I'll definitely be doing that. Who did send your oil too? Blackstone?

I want to send my injectors in & have them rebuilt/serviced, but I don't have an extra set & my S is currently my DD.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by F-U-B-A-R
Good idea, I'll definitely be doing that. Who did send your oil too? Blackstone?

I want to send my injectors in & have them rebuilt/serviced, but I don't have an extra set & my S is currently my DD.
Blackstone is the most popular lab in the U.S. I'm in Canada so I use a local service. In my hometown I have a CAT / Toromont dealer and they offer used oil analysis services through the CAT dealer network. I buy the kit from them and then drop it off back to them and they courier it to their lab. Most cities have a CAT dealer nearby who might also offer that service.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Blackstone is the most popular lab in the U.S. I'm in Canada so I use a local service. In my hometown I have a CAT / Toromont dealer and they offer used oil analysis services through the CAT dealer network. I buy the kit from them and then drop it off back to them and they courier it to their lab. Most cities have a CAT dealer nearby who might also offer that service.
Ordered! They sent me a free kit, I'll just wait for it to arrive & send it in. It'll give me time to run this oil--only have 200 miles on it.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:44 PM

Default Blackstone results

I got my results! Everything is fine & it turns out I'm just being paranoid...

Here are my results.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HONDA S2000.pdf (317.1 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by F-U-B-A-R; 01-27-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by F-U-B-A-R
I got my results! Everything is fine & it turns out I'm just being paranoid...

Here are my results.
That's good for peace of mind, well worth doing IMO. That looks like a great oil, I really like the Moly count, well built oil by the looks of it. Should work well for you.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:37 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Can we see the full report? I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

-- Chuck

Name:  35%20IN-091016-page-001_zpsxzicgt6d.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  143.8 KB
Old 01-28-2017, 06:45 PM

Chuck click on his attachment in the #6 post, his UOA sheet is there in pdf form, mind you it is from a very short interval if I recall so the wear metals are really low.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:46 PM

^ Chuck click on his attachment in the #6 post of this thread, his UOA sheet is there in pdf form, mind you it is from a very short interval if I recall so the wear metals are really low.

Quick Reply: Oil cap smells gassy... is this normal?