S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil dripping from exhaust resonator can

Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Oil dripping from exhaust resonator can

i can't lift my car anytime soon, so i'm hoping you guys can give me some suggestions, advice, or ideas.

today i noticed oil drips on my driveway, the drips are located at the rear of the car.

by kneeling down, i see that the exhaust resonator can is covered with oil, which is where the dripping is coming from.

i am confused. why would there be oil covering the exhaust resonator.

could it have actually travelled from the engine to the transmission to the exhaust resonator before dripping down?

i am parked on a slight decline...but i don't see why the exhaust resonator would be covered with oil as opposed to having a thin leak trail.

very odd.

oil level is fine.

thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM

thinking about it some more, i don't see how motor oil can travel along the exhaust pipe to the exhaust resonator, much less travel from the engine to the transmission and somehow beam over to the exhaust pipe.

strange.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you sure it's oil? Are you sure it just doesn't look like oil?

I'm not positive, but I think the resonator can has a weep hole on the bottom to let water drip out and prevent it from filling up with water due to frequent short trips. If so, then what you're seeing is water mixed with soot, and might have the appearance of oil.

If you make frequent short trips, this would explain what you see.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think its oil.....
but i could be wrong.

is your drive way a incline so the oil can drip somewhere from the
motor to the exhaust?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM

it looks like oil, but i did not taste it or smell it. but it looks like oil, 100% looks like oil.

i do not think the resonator can has a hole to drop out water, so no i do not think it is water mixed with soot, because it definitely looks like oil, not dirty water. water would evaporate, this "oil" is still on my driveway 24 hours later.

yes, my driveway is a slight incline, not dramatic, just slight, but i still do not see how an incline can make oil somehow beam over to the exhaust pipe, much less gather all around the resonator can. the resonator can is 85% covered in oil, producing the small and slow drip.

this is so confusing.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Your not losing oil as verified by checking the dip stick, the oil came from something or someplace else. Transmission maybe? Maybe you unknowingly drove through a puddle of oil. I would get some rags and get under the car and clean all visable oil off, drive the car around the block and do another inspection.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:02 PM

i will clean the oil off and inspect it further when i can lift my car. for the next week, i can't lift the car, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Oil filled diff mounts.
One of them may have a leak?
Going by what you can find onhere the oil in a diff mount is kinda thick and red(dish).

Can't you park with one side on a (high) curb so you can get a better look underneath?
Working on a car ghetto style

Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to one of my friend's S2000's. Took us 30 minutes to figure out the "oil" on his transmission was actually dr pepper that spilt in the car. Make sure its not Dr. Pepper
Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 PM

i believe i was viewing the diff mounts from the rear of the car and they appeared dry. the resonator is a good one foot in front of the diff mounts if i am not mistaken. at the same time, i would find it difficult to imagine oil from the diff mounts to almost completely cover up the resonator can.

pretty sure it ain't dr. pepper.

thanks for all the suggestions. hopefully i can lift my car up this sunday.

Quick Reply: Oil dripping from exhaust resonator can