S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter......

Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter......

Hello everyone,

It is time to give my car an oil change. But this time I've decided to do it on my own.
I thought I would use Mobile 10-30. Is it a good choice?
Also, do I need to get an oil filter from Honda dealership or any brand from Pepboys would be okay?

Any input will be appreciated :-)

Thanks
Old 06-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Not a fan of Mobil 1 but that is just me.
You can use a non oem oil filter for sure. I still try to use oem ones but have used other oil filters many times.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend do use OEM filters myself, but I seem to ask myself this question every time oil changes are due. I mean, c'mon... 14 bucks for a filter?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

The general consensus is the factory filter is one of the best. I've cut each of mine open at every filter change and they look great. It's part # 15400-PCX-004. Double check the # at the dealer because they might give you the filter that fits all the other Hondas. The S has its own filter to handle high pressures and volume.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oem Nothing but the best for the S.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OEM Filter honestly, will a FRAM or K&N work? Sure, but eh... it's really the only OEM-Oil related thing I use. Quite honestly, vtec + mobile 1 never seems to go well. It's thinner than average and seems to chew through the stuff. I know there will be someone who will come in and say Mobil 1 is the greatest thing since the discovery of hydrogen, but it won't touch my internals.

I've been EXTREMELY pleased with Pennzoil ultra
Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some oils work better in cars than they do in others, but this does not mean that they are all garbage. Exxon Mobil makes quality products and I do agree that S2000 does seem to shear some of their products. However, with their offering of about a dozen blends in the 30 weights, I would not be surprised to see one of their products perform well. My point is, find what works for you and your car.

As for the oil filters, I wouldn't say that the OEM Honda/Filtechs are the best filters available on the market. But, with our limited knowledge of OE bypass pressures and third party offering's, the OEM filter is probably the best suited filter to operate within a comfortable safety margin.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidxsai
I thought I would use Mobile 10-30. Is it a good choice?
Please refer to the countless oil threads.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

There's a thread on here somewhere that talks about the media in the different filters. Net is, OEM has the best construction, but how you maintain the oil might effect what filter is best. The OEM filter is a unique part engineered just for the S2000, it is not even common with other Hondas and its not a generic filter, if that means anything to you. From what I've read elsewhere, the construction dynamics of the S2000 filter are specific to the unique power band and help with keeping a constant oil pressure across rpm as well as high flow at high rpm. I'm not sure how much of that is taken into account with the average oil filter design. Fwiw I use OEM.

As for Mobil oil, while it is widely considered a good oil, many S2000 owners have reported issues with burning or noise with it. ymmv.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I've seen there is nothing special about the oem filter. It is larger than the other Honda OEM filters, but if your replacement is just as big it will flow enough volume. Ignore posts talking about the bypass being special. It is not. That being said it is a VERY well built filter, and I run OEM because they are cheap from majestic in 8 packs. I like just grabbing one off my shelf and ordering more when the last one is used. Saves me a trip.

Quick Reply: Oil filter......