S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Light On Briefly During Startup - Problem?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Light On Briefly During Startup - Problem?

Hi all,

I may be a bit paranoid - but I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing with my S2K is "normal". I just noticed after the car sits for an hour or so and is started, the oil pressure light seems to stay on for a few seconds (also saw it flicker once during startup). I'm also hearing what sounds like some rather loud valve tapping up until the light turns off, hoping that's nothing unusual as well. I understand that oil pressure is lower when the oil is stil warm and the oil viscosity is thinner so that's why I may not notice this on cold starts. To be clear, the light has NEVER come on while driving or idling other than during startup. I took a video to better illustrate what I'm describing, does everyone else's car behave the same way?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nPshg9pCw[/media]
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,458 Posts

do an oil pressure check, don't chance it as an oil light on at any time is a bad sign. My oil light came on at idle and now my is sitting on the floor of my garage waiting for a transplant.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

What's your oil level at? I think that is normal for the light to be on until it starts and then goes off.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

normal
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, makes me feel quite a bit better. I forgot to mention I did check (and always keep an eye on) the oil level, it's full on one side of the dipstick, and 1 crosshatch under full on the other..so definitely not a level issue.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
do an oil pressure check, don't chance it as an oil light on at any time is a bad sign. My oil light came on at idle and now my is sitting on the floor of my garage waiting for a transplant.
Was this idle during regular driving, or immediately after startup? I believe all cars have it on at least for a very small amount of time during startup, even if it's for a split second until the system pressurizes.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO it is on a little bit longer than it should be with a warm engine.

What oil filter are you running? If it is a cheap Fram or something it is probably a bad drainback valve that is letting the oil system depressurize. Try the OEM PCX filter if you have something else on.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by spets
IMO it is on a little bit longer than it should be with a warm engine.

What oil filter are you running? If it is a cheap Fram or something it is probably a bad drainback valve that is letting the oil system depressurize. Try the OEM PCX filter if you have something else on.
I'm running the OEM PCX filter. I have moved to a yearly oil change schedule since the car isn't driven too frequently (less than 1000/mi a year), and I'm about 9 months and 700 miles in on this oil change. I wouldn't think having the oil filter on there for a year would be an issue, since even the S2K manual recommends annual oil changes for "normal" conditions. I could try an oil change to see if it helps though.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by climhazzard
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1340939782' post='21820503
Was this idle during regular driving, or immediately after startup? I believe all cars have it on at least for a very small amount of time during startup, even if it's for a split second until the system pressurizes.
mine was at hot idle only, not like your situation, sorry I thought the light was flickering at idle. Just keep a close eye on it.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
mine was at hot idle only, not like your situation, sorry I thought the light was flickering at idle. Just keep a close eye on it.
No worries, I appreciate the help and will definitely keep an eye on it. Hope your new engine is up and running soon, can't imagine that's a fun wait.

Quick Reply: Oil Light On Briefly During Startup - Problem?