S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Pressure Light Flickering at Speed

Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Light Flickering at Speed

I started up my car this morning to do some errands and on the way back (3 bars on the coolant gauge) I was going about 60 km/h (3000 RPM in 4th gear)in when the oil pressure light came on. It was very faint at first and it started to glow brighter as I gave it more gas and got to higher speeds. It doesn't seem that the light has any relevance to the RPM since after the light started coming on I was at a stop light and accelerated up to 60km/h making shifts at 4500 without the light coming on at all.

When I got home, I cooled the car down for 2 hours with the hood propped open and checked the oil level which read 2 x's from the bottom of the dipstick, checked the oil fill cap which was tightened, and I checked the oil filter, which was also screwed on tight.

Forgive me if I hurt my car more... But I had a very important Chemistry lab I HAD to attend to worth 25% of final grade so I had to start my car and drive her there. Halfway there, when the car was warmed up again (3 bars) and I was traveling at 60 km/h (again 3000 RPM in 4th) oil light started flickering again (it was very faint, and got brighter as I increased speed). Basically, the exact same thing that happened previously. I did not notice the oil light come on at all when the engine was at idle speed (clutched out) and I DID NOT hit VTEC when any of this was happening.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Or possible know what's wrong?

If it means anything, I have a MY00 S2000 with 90,000ish km's on the motor.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

they usually say once you see the oil light come on it's too late in terms of engine damage. Try not to drive it anymore until you can get it solved. It's probably an oil pump issue , assuming the oil level is being read correctly and it's not a fualty sensor. I'd have a dealer try to solve it.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Well the pump could be going, or the pressure sensor.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would first put the proper amount of oil in it and put a new oil pressure switch in it. it is cheap enough to just change for piece of mind.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far. I topped up the oil and I will be going to dealer tomorrow to see if they have any oil pressure sensors in stock (I doubt they do so I will probably end up ordering one). I will report back with my findings!

As for the oil pump, is it really a common issue in S2000's? I have never heard of an oil pump dying in our cars. I understand that even when the chances are low, the possibility is still there but I just don't think it is very likely for my oil pump to have died considering I change my oil every 5000km's and don't drive like a maniac daily. No matter though, I will still keep that in mind when all other options are exhausted since I imagine an oil pump isn't cheap especially from the dealer.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Former Sponsor

The oil level is low, not near low enough to cause any engine damage or for the oil light to come on.

On the dip stick from the L to H is 1 quart of oil.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:28 AM

I topped up the oil last night, and I went for a drive around my block with a friend to see if the problem persisted. I drove for maybe 2 minutes before the light came on. I immediately switched the engine off and pushed the car back into my garage (the reason why I was driving around the block in case this happened).

Correct me if my logic is wrong, but I'm lead to believe that this is an oil pressure sensor problem rather than an oil pump issue. My reasoning behind this: When my car is at idle speed, the oil pressure is fine, even upon start up it's fine (which is, if I read correctly; the oil pressure is at its highest). However, after the oil pressure light comes on and I bring the engine back to idle speed the oil pressure light stays on. So thinking about it, how can my oil pump be bad if it is able to bring the oil pressure up to around 90~ PSI at start up and not be able to hold it at 20~ PSI at idle?

Am I completely wrong in what I'm thinking? Or is it reasonable to assume such?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 AM

sounds logical but im no mechanic..
Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a friend with the same issue. I am lead to believe it is the sensor as well. We are not driving the car for now and I am going to get a cheap autometer gauge from autozone and T it into the oil line to get a pressure reading. Check wire connections on the sensor. I assume you have done that right?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unscrew the oil pressure sensor, screw in a mechanical gauge and check the pressure. If it's low, you probably need bearings. If it's not low, you need a new pressure switch.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Light Flickering at Speed