S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Pressure on Overfill

Old 01-20-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure on Overfill

After seeing that my oil was low, I topped it off. Unfortunately, it now reads exactly right above the letter 'H' (when checking the dipstick on a cold engine). It reads one diamond lower than max when checking on a hot engine. I know there are two negativities to oil overfill:
1) Higher oil pressure (which can blow/damage seals and gaskets)
2) Whipping the oil and creating "foam" (froth) which will starve the engine

Checking for '2' above, after driving the car a couple of times and looking at the inside of the oil cap and dipstick each time, I did not notice "foam". Although when I first checked, I did notice very, very slight amount of fine bubbles in the dipstick. Driving again and checking did not show this however and the oil cap does not show any "foam" both times I checked. Anyway, I am still worried about '1' above. Have I caused permanent damage to my seals / gasket? Are these easy / expensive to replace?

P.S., I drive very conservatively when the engine is cold and I avoid shifting past 3500RPM. On a sidenote, anyone know the right amount of bars on the temp gauge before the low engine temp limiter is bypassed on an 06/07?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are that concerned just drain a little out. Just make sure you are on a level surface when checking the oil. I believe it is 6 or 7 bars for NOT on a newer model, but am unsure.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:03 AM

Thanks. I had thought about that but I am still at the "break-in" oil, plus I don't have a garage to perform the change. I have read some suggestions from older posts about changing the oil filter. Can this be easily done without having to put the car in jack-stands? I would imagine that this can only be a good thing since I will also be cleaning the debris from the engine break-in.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can suck some oil out from the top of the head.

Walmart sells a bulb squeeze pump that you can buy for ~$5.

You can put the hose down the dipstick hole and suck some oil out from the top.

Some places sell a tool like this for doing your whole oil change from the top. I don't think that's necessarily the best idea, but the method came in handy when I was a little overzealous with the filling myself last year...
Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Former Moderator

Here's the gimmicky one they sell for $50.

You can just get the $5 bulb one to suck some oil out.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Former Moderator

Something like this:
Old 01-20-2008, 03:59 PM

If it reads one X below max then you didn't over fill. You have to overfill by a considerable amount before damage can occur. You're worrying over a few ounces of oil, it won't hurt anything.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 273 Posts

Unless you've overfilled it by several quarts, no damage is going to occur. Your not going to blow out a gasket. Oil pressure is set the pressure relief valve in the oil pump. Having more oil in the pan isn't going to change that.

The larger risk is running it low on oil.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,Jan 20 2008, 04:59 PM
If it reads one X below max then you didn't over fill. You have to overfill by a considerable amount before damage can occur. You're worrying over a few ounces of oil, it won't hurt anything.
It is one X below when the engine is hot (i.e. turn off car after drive and check dipstick).
Old 01-20-2008, 04:45 PM

I just purchased the $3 bulb that Ckit suggested from Walmart. Is there any risk into using that? I am just waiting for the engine to cool down then I will use it, unless someone here thinks it's a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure on Overfill