S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil type - 15W40 ?

Old 02-15-2001, 10:07 PM
STi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup thats basically my thinking aswell.
Old 02-16-2001, 01:20 PM

Initially, my mechanic/engineer put the special Mobil 0w30 race oil in my CRX engine after it's rebuild. This guy is a SAE and knows his stuff. He told me that this was the ONLY Mobil 1 that you could put into a Honda engine and none of the 'commercially available' Mobil 1 derivatives were suitable.

I gave him the product literature that the Redline distributor gave me and he studied it extensively. He said it was fine to use Redline in my car, and even considered ordering it for his shop. I used 5w30 Redline in my '91 CRX B16a VTEC (which was a hybrid swap). It worked very well. I know other Redline products such as the Water Wetter and their gear oils work very well (from experience), so I have no reason to doubt the performance of their oils.

I recall a test done by an Australian performance Mag a couple years ago "Hot 4's"- Royal Purple came out as the oil that produced the most power on the dyno. Redline was right behind that and I think that Mobil 1 was like at the bottom of the list!

But I also agree with the above posts......Mobil has the biggest budget and the most amount of resources. It is installed into a lot of OEM applications. Although I feel compelled to mention that I had Mobil 1 in my 2000 C5, and it was bought back due to Lemon Law!!! .

In 9500 miles, the car used 12 quarts of oil.

Maybe that's saying something? Maybe it has nothing to do with the oil and is the engineering of the Corvette LS1 itself, but I don't know if I am game to use Mobil 1 in my Stook.

I think I'll be going with Redline!
Old 02-16-2001, 02:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Sime
In 9500 miles, the car used 12 quarts of oil.

Maybe that's saying something? Maybe it has nothing to do with the oil and is the engineering of the Corvette LS1 itself, but I don't know if I am game to use Mobil 1 in my Stook.
It could have something to do with using a synthetic oil during a break-in that obviously didn
Old 02-17-2001, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On page 3-2 of the MY2001 S2000 Helm manual, Honda says to use 10W-30 for temperatures down to just below 0 def F and to use 5W-40 for temperatures below that. I'm using 10W-30 and not starting or driving my car if it is below zero outside.

As Chris Delena would say, maybe I'm nuts, but I kinda think the engineers who built the car might know what oil to use.

Even if they don't know, they do know the attorneys who wrote the warranty.

More important than checking your oil brand is checking your oil level. WAY more important.

Barry
Old 02-20-2001, 05:48 PM

After reading some articles pertaining to oil viscosity between Redline oil and conventional oil, I am left puzzled by what the manual says about what kind of oil to use ( ususally being conventional 5W30 or 10W30. What about synthetic oil weight? It's been told that synthetic 10W30 is 'thinner'( viscosity wise ) than conventional 10W30. Further, they showed an equal viscosity rating between 10W30 and synthetic 15W50! Why doesn't the manual clarify proper synthetic oil weights to use, if, in fact, this is true? I would certainly on all counts trust the Honda engineer more than anything else when it comes down to what the owner of a vehicle should do to maintain his/her car. It has NEVER been clearly explained to me if there is a DANGER in using a synthetic 10W30 rather than a conventional 10W30 due to the synthetic being labeled as 'thinner'. I know synthetic enhances flow characteristics and allows a broader protection from deposits and thermal breakdown of the oil but.... uhhhh..... I think this giant run-on sentence needs to come to a halt. Anybody have anything on this?
Old 02-20-2001, 06:05 PM

It is my understanding that there is a standard method for measuring viscosity regardless of the motor oil.. synthetic 10W30 is the same weight as conventional 10W30. See
Old 02-21-2001, 06:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

CD is correct. Oil viscosity is standardized (National Institute of Standards and Testing (NIST). It requires a given volume to progress through a calibrated orifice for a time constant. To picture this think of an hourglass. Same physics involved.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Red Line 5w30. The claim is that this oil offers a better film coating than a petroleum based 10w40. This, acording to many, translates into a great all around oil- almost as if it were a 5w40. The only thing that sucks is the price.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:32 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I think what typo is getting at is:
at a given temp (room temp?) the synthetic is thinner than the dino.
This could even be true between two different brands of dino with the same rating.
The rating is done at specific temps (high and low) and the Viscosity vs. Temp curves (line connecting high and low point) may not be colinear.
Maybe??????????
Old 02-21-2001, 07:13 PM

RT, you are right on. Viscosity is measured a particular temperatures, but may well be different at other temperatures.

http://www.superiorlubricants.com/classtable.html

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about viscosity:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?pa...3-viscosity.htm

Quick Reply: Oil type - 15W40 ?