S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Overrev...Flashing CEL. PLEASE HELP.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Considering the previous post said they looked sunk, id say loose.

Sunk valves means cracked retainers.
Your guess is right. I set the valve lash to spec but I'm still missfiring at idle. I ordered a set of AP2 retainers and keepers. I'll change those out when they come in.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:43 PM

Why are we talking engine replacements? You haven't executed step 2 yet and your already considering step 6.[/QUOTE]
If I find that I have bent valves I'd rather drop a couple thousand extra to get a fresher motor instead of rebuilding half the engine. You feel?
Old 08-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Digitalair
Your guess is right. I set the valve lash to spec but I'm still missfiring at idle. I ordered a set of AP2 retainers and keepers. I'll change those out when they come in.
If you keep running the engine and drop a valve because one of your cracked retainers lets go your going to get your wish. Just stop until you replace all the retainers, then once you do this and set all the valve lash and still get misfire code then do a leakdown test, and this will confirm that you have bent valves, but until all this dont run or write this motor off yet. Im trying to save you 4-5 thousand dollars, unless thats not much for you.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-13-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:32 PM

If you keep running the engine and drop a valve because one of your cracked retainers lets go your going to get your wish. Just stop until you replace all the retainers, then once you do this and set all the valve lash and still get misfire code then do a leakdown test, and this will confirm that you have bent valves, but until all this dont run or write this motor off yet. Im trying to save you 4-5 thousand dollars, unless thats not much for you.
Yeah I know starting the engine without replacing the retainers was really stupid on my part. I'm getting my car towed over to where I work today (I work at a pretty big car dealership). If I get a misfire code after the retainers are swapped out and I can confirm that I have bent valves I'm just going to swap in a fresher motor.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Considering the previous post said they looked sunk, id say loose.

Sunk valves means cracked retainers.
Yes, but he didn't specify. If they are all tight... prolly no damaged retainers, to the point of dropping valves?
Old 08-14-2017, 02:06 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

From notes here the retainers can be replaced with those from the AP2 engines without removing the head. Sure to be a photo essay somewhere on the forum.

-- Chuck
Old 08-14-2017, 03:07 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Yes, but he didn't specify. If they are all tight... prolly no damaged retainers, to the point of dropping valves?
OP seems "bent" (no pun intended) on swapping in a new engine. I don't think he realizes the experience that you all have with exactly the problem he is facing.

OP - it would help these folks give you good info and perhaps save you a ton of money if you would provide some more detail - the valve lash measurements would be a good start.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

From his latest posts it seems he is on board with forum recommendations. He is planning to not start engine again, replace retainers, set valve lash, then retest compression.

If his numbers are good, he's going to just drive on with thanks to us all.

If his numbers are not good, he's just going to assume bent valves. Being his current motor has 175k miles, he doesn't want to drop coin on the head, since bottom end will still be 'unfresh'. He'll get a fresher motor instead.

Those miles wouldn't put me off, but I understand his reasoning.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
From his latest posts it seems he is on board with forum recommendations. He is planning to not start engine again, replace retainers, set valve lash, then retest compression.

If his numbers are good, he's going to just drive on with thanks to us all.

If his numbers are not good, he's just going to assume bent valves. Being his current motor has 175k miles, he doesn't want to drop coin on the head, since bottom end will still be 'unfresh'. He'll get a fresher motor instead.

Those miles wouldn't put me off, but I understand his reasoning.
That's what I gathered as well at this point. I don't know if id want to drop 2k for a head on a 175k motor either, but kind of depends on what long blocks are on the market currently. That can be hit and miss. with limited options, fixing bent valves may not be as sour a deal as it seems right now. Hopefully its just cracked retainers and that solves it. A leak down test is really in order over the compression test though. We need to make sure the valves are seating after they are adjusted. Compression test only gives half the story.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

if i were in your shoes, i would just pull the head, get it worked on - valve guides and seals, replace bent valves, new ap2 retainers and keepers. put head back on.

do not mill head.

do not clean carbon off the piston tops (my oil consumption went from very bad to atrocious because of this).

I believe you can get this work done for less than $2K. maybe $1.5K. find a reasonably priced mechanic with a reputation for working on s2000's.

Quick Reply: Overrev...Flashing CEL. PLEASE HELP.