S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

P0336 CEL help

Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0336 CEL help

Hey guys, my car is unusable and I have to get this thing going again before I have to start teaching in a week.

Here's whats going on. I did a valve adjustment and got a P0336 code (Crankshaft Positioning Sensor A, Range and Performance.) I cleared it and it was fine for a few days then it came back and now it comes back right away and is in limp mode so I can not drive. The car drives and feels fine when the light is off but it keeps happening. Everything I have seen when I searched for this problem was for cars with forced induction or an aftermarket fuel management. I am N.A. and have the stock ECU so I am lost. Did the valve adjustment somehow mess this thing up?

I found the part online but am wondering if this is an easy install and if this will fix it or if something killed the sensor and is going to do it to the new one?

The car is a 2000 with about 140,000 miles. Stock engine with a catback, intake and a walbro 255

Please Help
Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 AM

I had a similar problem happen to me recently. I was getting the same code and multiple other codes as well, that put my car in limp mode and unable to drive. I suggest getting the sensor tested first before buying a new one. I made the mistake and purchased the same sensor and wasted money because my old sensor worked perfectly fine. What ended up being the problem was my TCT (timing chain tensioner). I replaced that with billmans TCT and it solved the problem with my car. I suggest inspecting the TCT, maybe even repairing it first to see if it fixes your problem. Good Luck!

David
Old 08-13-2015, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the reply DJ.

I also have the Billman's TCT installed so I don't think that's it. Whats the other codes you were getting? I got TDC code once and a pending misfire once as well.

I ended up ordering the sensor from O'Reilly's because it has a lifetime warranty for the same price as Honda had it and I'll have it in a few hours, here's hoping it fixes it and is not a waist.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 PM

Is there a DIY for replacing the crank position sensor? I need to know if the crank pulley needs to be removed, or not.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:08 AM

P0336 Crankshaft position Sensor
P0411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow
P1361 Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor Intermittent Interruption
P1366 Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor 2 Intermittent Interruption

I was getting all these and I couldnt go passed 3k rpm. But once i replaced the TCT it was fixed instantly.

I didnt find a DIY for the crankshaft position sensor. But it was a pain to remove and replace. I had to remove 1 pully. I think it was the water pump pully if I remember correctly.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 AM

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ndata-install/

This was the closes DIY I found that helped out a lot.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the reply DJ.

Man I don't understand it I just finished the install of the new sensor and it gave me the same code again. I have Bill's TCT so I don't think thats it. I'm lost please someone tell me how to fix this
Old 08-14-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by FireDog
Thanks for the reply DJ.

Man I don't understand it I just finished the install of the new sensor and it gave me the same code again. I have Bill's TCT so I don't think thats it. I'm lost please someone tell me how to fix this
If it's not the sensor, then it's either the wire or the device interpreting the sensor signal. Have you tried resetting the ecu?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:53 AM

I cleared the code. Do I need to unplug the battery? Is there a difference?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Resetting the ECU is a little different than just clearing the code although resetting the ecu will also clear the codes. There's a 7.5 amp fuse you pull under the dash on the driver side or just disconnect the battery for like an hour.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&t=549159&st=0

Quick Reply: P0336 CEL help