S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

P0505 - Really need some help

Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0505 - Really need some help

Hey guys, new to the forum and am really looking for some help with an engine light in a 2001 S2000. I know I am a newbie to this forum, and really hope that someone can shed some light on this possible problem I am having. I do have a decent history with working on Honda's, and have stumbled accross your forum trying to find some help into solving this engine light issue.

The car is not mine, but a customers of mine. Its a 2001 S2000 that had been in a roll over and repaired. The customer had bought the car and only after a week of owning it (an 100km's of driving it), we had installed a ZEX nitrous kit. Due to user error, the car had experience a nitrous backfire in the intake manifold. After the back fire, the car would start, run for a second, and die. After scanning the car, and having a map sensor code come up, we had replaced the map, reset the codes, and the car started, ran and worked fine. After two weeks, in stop and go city driving, the car would develop a staggered idle, and the CEL comes on.

The owner of the car had taken the car to the dealership, where they scanned the car and code P0505 had come up. I have searched the forum and found 15 matching topics for P0505 but nothing that really helped me in my hunt for figure out this issue. The dealership had told the customer that it was either A). IAC motor B). ECT sensor, or C). Poor sensor ground. They had replaced the IAC motor, cleared the light, and sent him on the way. Soon as he got to stop and go traffic, the engine light came back on. After going back to the dealership, they told him to change the ECT sensor, and check the grounds. The onwer had purchased the ECT sensor and had brought the car to me to try and figure out the issue. Being doubtful that the ECT sensor would fix the issue, I still changed it, and had check the continuity from the sensor to the ECU plug, and for ground. The wires checked out just fine, as well as the ones for the IAC and everything is fine there.

I had just spent the morning checking for any form of a mechanical vacuum leak. Checked the intake manifold gasket (using brake clean), throttle body gasket, and all vacuum lines. Everything looks fine, everything is sealed and not leaking at all. The air pump in the front driver side corner of the bumper looks like it was damage in the accident and "fixed" but it appears to still function, and does not leak. The PCV valve was replaced and everything else seems to be functioning properly.

When the car is started (with the engine light cleared), idles around 1800-2000rpm til it begins to warm up and then idles around 1000-1100 rpm. Once you drive the car a little bit, it works fine. Its not until you stop the car (i.e. pull up to a stop light or sign), that the engine light comes on, and the car idles uniform and quickly from approximately 1100-1500rpm. Code for the engine light is P0505.

I'm sorry for the ranting and going on here, but I am at my end with this issue. I have been on and off trying to resolve this problem with this car, and any bit of insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!