S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Parking Lights do not work

Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Lights do not work

"""xviper, on 11 March 2006 - 01:20 AM, said:

Odd. Which fuse?
Since the same fuse for the tail running lights also controls a multitude of other things, you should have also had the following out:

- audio unit light, cruise control main switch light, front parking lights, gauge lights, hazard warning switch light, heater control panel lights, licence plate light, convertible top switch light, radio remote switch light, tail lights.
Oh, and the dead give-away would have been that your keyless door lock control unit would not have worked.

You didn't notice any of these other things not working?"""

After reading many threads about parking lights not working, I have come to the conlusion that all of the above mentioned is occuring with my 01' s2k. I have replaced the "small lights" fuse 4x and they continue to blow everytime I try to turn on the parking light switch. I also encountered that my remote key control does not work, therefore replaced the "keyless remote" fuse 4x and they too continue to blow... I am running out of ideas and patience on trying to resolve this issue... The amber lights in the front head lights do not turn on as well when I turn on the parking light switch.. Please note that my signals work when on. My brake lights illuminate with I press on the brake pedal, but not tail lights illuminate when parking light switch is on.. Please someone chime in with any solutions or ideas on trying to tackle this situation out. Also, note that all this started to occur with my license plate bulb going out.. At first I would tap the plastic peice and the bulb will turn on, but after one day of trying this the bulb never turned back on and as the result of this, the rest of my lights when out (parking lights- rear lights, license plate light, gauge cluster lights, front amber lights)..
Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like something has shorted out, possibly the bulb holder for the license plate
Old 05-31-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-F8
Sounds like something has shorted out, possibly the bulb holder for the license plate
I believe so too.. I will check this out with more time. I am sure they sell this part alone in case the issue is my license plate bulb holder, right?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM

Aftermarket radio?

I have a MY02 and I've just resolved this issue with my car. My aftermarket radio was the culprit causing a short within that circuit.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.60trim
Aftermarket radio?

I have a MY02 and I've just resolved this issue with my car. My aftermarket radio was the culprit causing a short within that circuit.
Yea, when I bought the car it came with an aftermarket radio.. Cheap one at that.. So tell me how ur radio caused the short in ur car? I checked the fuse for the radio in my s2k and it was fine.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by S2KxDADE
Originally Posted by Mr.60trim' timestamp='1306885765' post='20635619
Aftermarket radio?

Yea, when I bought the car it came with an aftermarket radio.. Cheap one at that.. So tell me how ur radio caused the short in ur car? I checked the fuse for the radio in my s2k and it was fine.
Yeah the fuse for my radio was fine, and the radio operated normally as well. The aftermarket radio was installed with an aftermarket P&P harness for the s2k, (Crutchfield I believe). Apparently the aftermarket harness has an orange "dimmer" wire (that should have been taped off and not used). Instead this was used and connected to the factory harness. This "dimmer" wire plugged directly to the red/black factory wire. The red/black factory wire controls the interior dim setting. This same wire taps into the solid red factory wire which controls an array of things. The interior lights, flash lights control (keyless entry), gauge lights, parking lights, license plate light, and many other things as posted by xviper. If you let the short carry-on it will eventually spread throughout the entire circuit. So in essence, I shorted the circuit by connecting a power wire & a ground wire to that circuit.

Hope this may help you & many others who are experiencing this problem.

Let us know what you find.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.60trim
Originally Posted by S2KxDADE' timestamp='1306895127' post='20636030
[quote name='Mr.60trim' timestamp='1306885765' post='20635619']
Aftermarket radio?

Yeah the fuse for my radio was fine, and the radio operated normally as well. The aftermarket radio was installed with an aftermarket P&P harness for the s2k, (Crutchfield I believe). Apparently the aftermarket harness has an orange "dimmer" wire (that should have been taped off and not used). Instead this was used and connected to the factory harness. This "dimmer" wire plugged directly to the red/black factory wire. The red/black factory wire controls the interior dim setting. This same wire taps into the solid red factory wire which controls an array of things. The interior lights, flash lights control (keyless entry), gauge lights, parking lights, license plate light, and many other things as posted by xviper. If you let the short carry-on it will eventually spread throughout the entire circuit. So in essence, I shorted the circuit by connecting a power wire & a ground wire to that circuit.

Hope this may help you & many others who are experiencing this problem.

Let us know what you find.
[/quote]

Well, I changed my licensce plate light bulb housing and it still did not work.. The fuse pops like a baby fire cracker when I turn on the parking light switch. Lol.. I will now look into my aftermarket radio to see if this is causing my headaches. Mr60trim, when you say you connected the circuit with a power wire & a ground wire, which circuit exactly was the one you did this too? Sorry for asking the dumb questions, I am just trying to picture what you are saying so in case I do have the same issue, I can do what you did. Txs..
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM

I got the same problem that just occured. Same thing..... Im going to check my radio
Old 06-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Great news, I fixed my running daytime lights (license plate, tail lights, front amber lights, gauge cluster, keyless entry and trunk latch).. Thanks to Mr60trim advise, my aftermarket radio was the culprit.. There were some wires exposed and I was able to tape them off and organize the wires better.. Change my small lights fuse (10 amp) and magic, everything working good.. Txs guys for the help..
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by S2KxDADE
Great news, I fixed my running daytime lights (license plate, tail lights, front amber lights, gauge cluster, keyless entry and trunk latch).. Thanks to Mr60trim advise, my aftermarket radio was the culprit.. There were some wires exposed and I was able to tape them off and organize the wires better.. Change my small lights fuse (10 amp) and magic, everything working good.. Txs guys for the help..
Good to hear! Usually an aftermarket radio is the culprit for electrical issues of this nature. Going forward, I would suggest to anyone on here to re-check their aftermarket HU first.

Quick Reply: Parking Lights do not work