S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

please tell me if you see something wrong with this pressure plate

Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default please tell me if you see something wrong with this pressure plate

are the fingers messed up? the pp has been working fine in my car for 10 years and all of a sudden i cant shift gears anymore. mechanic removed it and replaced with oem pp. but i dont have the expertise to see whats wrong with it. the oem pp's finger are flat while these are leaning towards the clutch plate by a few mm.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Check the disc.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How did you deduce that it was the PP? After 10 years I would assume that the friction disc is just worn out and ready to be replaced. I hope your mechanic replaced the friction disc too! And resurfaced your flywheel... and might as well put a new TO bearing and TO bearing guide in while you're in there too.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM

the friction disc was at around 50%. they replaced the friction disc with a new one. all the other parts were good. replaced TO bearing. i didn't deduce it was the PP, but the mechanic first put a new oem pp in and the care worked. then we only swapped the act pp in, clutch wouldnt move and we couldnt get it into gear. he replaced the act pp with the oem and it worked again. does the pp above look ok?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:43 AM

please, anyone... does anyone even look at this sub forum?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:19 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

Both your pics have a shadow that is blocking any way to answer your question.

When an ACT PP goes defective, it develops a crack which leads from the circles in the black portion, out towards the yellow portion.

If there are no cracks, I assure you that the PP is fine and it was the install that was at fault.

I've been running that PP for 125k. I plan on getting another 200k or more out of it. PP is a simple part.

Post some pics of the disc.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 AM

thank you Billman, will do
Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 PM

Billman, would you please take a look? did i get the shots you wanted to see?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

A pressure plate is a housing (yellow in this case), a spring (with the fingers) and the pressure plate itself (the steel ring)
The pressure plate is connected to the housing by 3 small plates that also keep it pressed against the spring - kinda.

The F20X has a pull-to-release clutch.
So when you press the clutch the throwout pulls the spring away - towards the gearbox - from the pressure plate itself.
Those 3 small plates should make the pressure plate move too, at least enough to create some play between disk & the flywheel - so you can shift gear.
Then the disk needs to be able to move too, on the splines, if it can't you get the famous crunchy shifts.

Based on your pictures I can not see anything wrong with any of the parts.
The PP looks ok, the disk does not have any missing parts that could block its movement.

You could feel IF there is any play between the pressure plate itself and the housing - indicating some problem with those 3 plates.

I would look first at the clutch reservoir, master, slave, push rod and clutch fork to fix a sudden loss of ability to shift.

Did you get a look at the old throwout bearing?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 AM

i did see the throwout bearing. the TOB had popped out of the sleeve which caused the original problem. so the mechanic replaced the TOB, the clutch disc and the PP with oem parts. everything worked. then i looked at the ACT PP and i didn't see anything wrong with it so i asked him to put it back in. when he did, the car wouldnt shift into gear when the clutch was depressed, so the mechanic guessed that the fingers of the PP were messed up somehow. This is a honda certified mechanic who works at a honda service center so i trusted him. they replaced the oem PP and everything worked again. im just confused.

Quick Reply: please tell me if you see something wrong with this pressure plate