S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pop/ clunk / click in rear

Old 04-13-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop/ clunk / click in rear

Hello people of the forum, many a search has been done and I have tried all the "Fixes" related to this topic, but my symptoms still remain.

I have had a pop noise on and off for a while now, it only does it when it wants to, I will go over a bump and hear the pop noise (sometimes it sounds more of a click but it's still sounding like a pop noise) then over a hundred more bumps and not a single sound, it's never happened whilst turning a corner, rarely happens when I take off either in reverse or forwards, it does have different levels of loudness depending on the day, I have tried pushing down onext the back end to try and diagnose a faulty shock but it doesn't want to do it no matter what I do, I have had one case when I got into my car and it made a single pop/click I tried getting out then in again and it didn't do it.

I have had 2 different set of axles and an R32 gtr different conversion I have also taken the difference out had it refurbished and still the same noise, I have also re torqued my nuts on the axle to 220ftlb with grease as well as swapping to stiff different bushed but I still have the problems, I have tightened my end links on the sway bars as well as checked to see if the control arm bush is flogged out but that are still good....

Please help
Old 04-13-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 1,451 Likes on 973 Posts

" Re torqued my nuts. "

I guess we all could use a little re-torqueing.

" R32 gtr different conversion I have also taken the difference... "

Don't you just hate spell correct? Anyhow... Have you checked the spare tire in the trunk? Is it secured?

Sorry, for the editorial comments.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:30 PM

Haha its cool, yeah I hate autocorrect.

I have removed the spare tyre, Jack etc.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 AM

Worn shocks? Springs? Are these OEM or aftermarket?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The axle buckets (inner CV joints) usually vibrate on acceleration/deceleration but it could be that. Not sure what it could be as it seems you have already tried troubleshooting the main culprits. You didn't leave a tool somewhere below did you?
Old 04-14-2015, 05:02 PM

Shocks are still stock, rest of the car is also, brand new axles and refurbished diff only done 300ish kilometres.

I have added camber in the rear, but it didn't pop/click until the conversion was made, but I have tried everything except for reverting back to s2000 diff and axles. Seems like I may have to live with these annoying sounds :/
Old 04-19-2015, 03:08 PM

Update to my dilemma, I am able to replicate the sound by pushing my car side on (like I'm trying to rock the car) I am pushing it by the rear wheel on either side it still makes the dreaded noise I have, after replicating the noise it pops and clicks constantly while driving around the block, popping over the tiniest bump or whenever I come to a complete stop. Thinking about giving up on this car, it's caused me nothing but problems since the day I got it, really want to see the end of the problem, would this be a differential issue? Even if I had it refurbished, could it be the LSD itself?
Old 04-19-2015, 03:29 PM

Did the car start making this noise after you swapped axles? You have the OEM ones or are they no good?

Has the car been in an accident?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:29 PM

After market axles, but I have had 2 different sets in there so far, both completely brand new.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 PM

Update: ended up hearing a loud "Snap sound omw home from work and decided to try the axle nut attempt once more, this time I used a 1m breaker bar to tighten the exle nuts as tight as u could and the noise went away for a day, it's now come back again leading me to believe that something can't be right of it was tightened and the horrid noise stopped only to return a day later, under acceleration the noise never happens but the slower I go and the more uneven the road is, it pops over almost every single bump/pot hole in the road, any suggestions on what I will need to replace to make this noise stop?

Quick Reply: Pop/ clunk / click in rear