S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is it possible to do a clutch job without lowering subframe?

Old 10-05-2016, 08:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is it possible to do a clutch job without lowering subframe?

Just a question for y'all. Is there a method to pull the transmission and do a clutch job without lowering the front subframe or disconnecting the steering joint?

I ask because I just had a clutch job done. On getting the car back I noticed my steering wheel is off-centered, I have to point the wheel at about 11 o'clock to drive straight. Wheel alignment seems ok. My last alignment was two years and 20,000 miles ago.

I asked the shop if they could fix the wheel being off-centered, because I assumed they disconnected the steering joint as the shop manual calls for and didn't put it back together straight. They said they never lowered the subframe or disconnected the steering joint; that they were able to pull the transmission another way "because your car is RWD".

Honestly I'm a little out of my element arguing with a mechanic, so I just let it be and accepted their explanation. He opined that my alignment may be off from tie down from towing. I'm not so sure.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

I remember this thread earlier this year: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...ring-subframe/

There appears to be an engine tilt method.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet
I remember this thread earlier this year: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...ring-subframe/

There appears to be an engine tilt method.
Yes, engine tilt method is doable. But, its likely to tear your motor moumts, which are not cheap! So have those checked asap. Of course, shop is going to say they were already like that. But then, why didn't they report that and suggest to you to replace?
Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

You mean you have to turn the wheel for the car to go straight, or the car goes straight but the wheel is off center?
Old 10-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Also if your car was towed on a flat bed there should be no change in your alignment. If you have to turn the wheel to go straight something is bent. If the wheel is off center but the car goes straight, then it's an alignment issue.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I call BS. After doing this with over 10 cars I believe the shop did not connect the steering linkage back in its correct position. Quite possible that it is one tooth off.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Also if your car was towed on a flat bed there should be no change in your alignment. If you have to turn the wheel to go straight something is bent. If the wheel is off center but the car goes straight, then it's an alignment issue.
I have to hold the wheel at 11 o'clock to go straight. If I hold the wheel dead center, it steers slightly right. Driving on a flat, straight road with no steering input (hands off) doesn't feel as solid as it once did, can track slightly left or right. This was only at 35-40mph too, haven't gotten it on a straight highway since I noticed the steering wheel issue.

Perhaps it is just an alignment issue and I'm conflating it with the recent clutch job. Lots of threads on misaligning the steering joint on reassembly, but they say they didn't touch the steering joint.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well .. just get under look at the bolts for fresh marks as a sign it was removed or maybe there was a previous mark that you will notice is off .. couldent hurt
Old 10-06-2016, 02:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Have "the clutch guy" pay for your alignment.

I suspect your steering joint is off.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Alignment off from the car being a little compressed during towing? LOL. Then I guess your alignment will get knocked out every time you fly through a dip in the road. They disconnected the shaft. Have no idea why they'd bother lying about it.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to do a clutch job without lowering subframe?