S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Possible Exhaust leak

Old 08-26-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Exhaust leak

I put the silencer in my exhaust last weekend. After bolting it in, tight, I went on a drive (my GF hates my exhaust) and after a couple of vtecs, the silencer shot out of the exhaust like a friggin missle. The car in back of me had to dodge it. Anyway, I just started to notice that the exhaust seems to be louder from underneath the car i.e. a leak. The CEL is not comming on and the car isn't running different. If this is a leak, can anyone fix it or an I looking at a new exhaust. I've contacted the dealer, since the exhaust is only 6mo old. Any hints/suggestions?
Thanks
Old 08-26-2003, 06:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If there is an exhaust leak, it's most likely to be the connection between the cat and the exhaust, check the bolts and gaskets. They could come loose due to vibrations and heat expansion/contraction. As for the silencers shootin out like missiles , if you put your silencers on, they create more back pressure in the exhaust system. So to hold the silencers in, I think you have to tighten the bolt to hold them in quite tightly or else they can come loose too (vibrations, heat expansion/contraction). I had my silencer's in on my Invidia exhaust, and after stopping for gas, I notice I didn't have a screw on the silencer anymore. It must have gotten loose and fell off. I tightened it pretty well too.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks