S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Power from Rear

Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power from Rear

Does the S have more power coming from the rear right tire than the rear left or is the power distributed evenly on throttle ?

Thanks,
Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL that's the funniest post ever.
We have this thing called LSD. It takes care of traction but power goes out the diff through the axles at the same time.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 PM

like stated already equal amounts of power is put to both wheels at the same time. And i don't thinks its taht funny of a post you have to keep in mind not every one is as smart as you Boofster.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:39 PM

Around a corner you get different drive to each wheel, this is why Torsens provide better traction, they put the power to the wheel with the most grip.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll guess this question was posted because you find your car pushing to one side or the other on hard accelerations.

It's your tire pressure.

Check all 4.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 3ngin33r1,Oct 24 2007, 04:52 PM
I'll guess this question was posted because you find your car pushing to one side or the other on hard accelerations.

It's your tire pressure.

Check all 4.
Thanks for the reply. Actually I posted it because a service guy at the dealership told me that the rear right wheel was the primary source of power and the rear left was secondary. I was a little skeptical so I'd figure i would post it on here.

I found that my rear right tire was wearing faster and the rear left.

Thanks,
Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not all lsd's are manufactured that way. the post is not funny at all it was a good question
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by watchdogd,Oct 24 2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. Actually I posted it because a service guy at the dealership told me that the rear right wheel was the primary source of power and the rear left was secondary. I was a little skeptical so I'd figure i would post it on here.

I found that my rear right tire was wearing faster and the rear left.

Thanks,
wow, thats some pretty crazy misinformation. Was this going to be a warranty claim type ordeal, where he would loose money by actually fixing the problem you may have? or was he just that uneducated?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Oct 24 2007, 09:08 PM
wow, thats some pretty crazy misinformation. Was this going to be a warranty claim type ordeal, where he would loose money by actually fixing the problem you may have? or was he just that uneducated?
Last week I had my car in the dealer to get the Cable Reel replaced. And they also ended up replacing the Steering Angle Sensor as well.

I was originally in there for a complaint about uneven steering/return to center and after taking my car to Discount Tire, I found that my rear right tire was wearing just under 2/32 of an inch more than the rear left.

So when I asked the Manager at the dealership he said our cars have LSD and that the rear right is where the more of the power is from and rear left is secondary. Now maybe I misinterpreted what he said, but it was something along the lines of that. Maybe he wanted me to hear so I would think everything is normal, I don't know.

The funny thing is, I have cross swapped the rears and the car drives better not totally perfect but there is no pull and no drifting. I do notice that turning left does snap back better than the right but I am thinking maybe once I get all new tires everything will be good.

I have had the alignment checked numerous times and have posted the results on these forums and everything is good so either its tires or there is something withing Factory specification that my car does not have perfect response from both left and right. I'm hoping its just the tires otherwise I have to live with it

Thanks,
Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 PM

With a live solid rear axle, think old chevy, engine torque tends to lift one side. With independent rear suspension the torque is transmitted through the chassis and the rear tires get equal traction, unless one side slips, than the torsen comes into play.

Quick Reply: Power from Rear