S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Propeller Shaft Failure?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I tried to order a used ebay shaft, when i got it there was a huge grease leak so i returned it
Old 05-29-2014, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you solve it robrob?

I have a similar noise going on, mine appears to be from one side rear wheel though and more apparent when putting load on that side.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an older post, but i'm still wondering if you resolved the issue. I feel that i'm having a similar issue.

I get underneath the car and i feel "play" when handling the drive shaft. My noise issues are a little different. When i back up slowly, i hear pop pop pop (it is not the rear axle nut!). When i'm cruising at 30 mph or so and let go of the gas (clutch still engaged) and just let engine brake i ear loud squeaking or rapid "popping". The noise is coming from exactly the driveshaft side of the "joint" (where the tranny shaft attaches to driveshaft. wd40 made the squealing temporarily go away, so i'm pretty positive it's there.

I'm just confused though. Isn't this driveshaft a one piece? Some say it's a 2 piece, but i only see one "shaft". Then i read above and a guy mentioned sliding one part out of the other but it's greased vacuumed in. Is there a shaft inside the bigger shaft? could those things be "loose" possibly popping and squealing? I don't want to spend 800 on new drive shaft to not be the problem.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3CH017
I know this is an older post, but i'm still wondering if you resolved the issue. I feel that i'm having a similar issue.

I get underneath the car and i feel "play" when handling the drive shaft. My noise issues are a little different. When i back up slowly, i hear pop pop pop (it is not the rear axle nut!). When i'm cruising at 30 mph or so and let go of the gas (clutch still engaged) and just let engine brake i ear loud squeaking or rapid "popping". The noise is coming from exactly the driveshaft side of the "joint" (where the tranny shaft attaches to driveshaft. wd40 made the squealing temporarily go away, so i'm pretty positive it's there.

I'm just confused though. Isn't this driveshaft a one piece? Some say it's a 2 piece, but i only see one "shaft". Then i read above and a guy mentioned sliding one part out of the other but it's greased vacuumed in. Is there a shaft inside the bigger shaft? could those things be "loose" possibly popping and squealing? I don't want to spend 800 on new drive shaft to not be the problem.
I have this exact same problem. Do we have any update to know if it was the prop shaft making it?

Just about every other thread describing noises like this point to the axel nut. I’ve tightened those this past weekend and it didn’t solve the issue.